Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible to only have 2 inch EP collection?

kirkster501

Hello guys,

As title? As discussed in another thread, I have 2 TV inch 17 and 35 EPs - as in Signature. Thinking of getting a Nag 12mm 2 inch as well plus a 2x PowerMate.

Just sanity checking is it OK to have an entire 2 inch collection like this? Or maybe get the 13mm Nag to give "options"?

Also, would i need counter-balancing with a Nagler and a PM together with a WO diagonal? That's quite a totem pole of stuff on the back !

Thanks for the ongoing advice. This is a great place for it !! :)

Steve

There is no intrinsic advantage to 2" EPs, as I'm sure you are aware. I'm not familiar with the 12mm TV you mention but given its short focal length, is it not a 1.25" EP with a 2" adaptor?

Yea, I run into a lot of people that seem to think that 2" is optically superior to 1.25". Like a 2.0 engine being more powerful than a 1.3 one or something.. not the case.

That being said, having eyepieces that all at least support the 2" standard (the lower focal length ones being 1.25" optically with a 2" option to fit in focuser) can be really practical as you don't need to swap the 1.25" adapter on and off when juggling eyepieces.

Other than that, the only thing to be concerned about eyepieces, optically, is their focal length, afov, exit pupil it gives you, and whether or not it's a quality design that will give satisfactory results in your scope. 2" or 1.25" doesn't come into play here.

Either a 12 or 13mm would work nicely in your collection, imo. A 13mm might end up being used more since the atmosphere will limit you on maximum practical magnification on most nights.

The Televue ep's that are 1.25" and 2" are as Newman said 1.25" ep's with a 2" skirt. Using them in 2" format does not make them 2" ep's but it does make them more steady in the focuser. I use a Nagler 12T4 and an Ethos 8mm they are held ok with the 1.25" but I use them solely in the 2" format they are not cheap ep's I don't want them to fall to the floor. So yes it is possible to have an entire collection of ep's and use them in a 2" focuser, if I swapped my Pentax 5mm for an Ethos 4.7mm then my set would be useable as 2". Saves messing about with adaptors too.

My main set of eyepieces are all used used in 2 inch mode. I use the Hyperion fine tuning rings to extend the 2" barrels of the 13mm, 8, and 6mm Ethos eyepieces so that 2" filters will fit straight on if needed. My Barlow, 20mm and 31mm eyepieces are "native" 2 inchers.

Heavy eyepieces like this are much more secure in a 2" drawtube as Chris says.

Archived