Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 150P Dobsonion - Stiction

Tiddles

Can anyone recommend a way of reducing the stiction/static friction in the above mount?

Cut some spacers from plastic milk cartons (circles with a hole in the middle for the central bolt, like a CD) then fit them between the two base panels. Increase the number until you achieve the optimum stiction.

Cheap, easy and effective :)

Just to report, this advice has made a huge difference to the performance of the Azimuth movement. I also used some car polish on the upper part of the mount, a circle where the slide pads move. The action is now super smooth with no hint of stiction.

Thanks again FLO.

I tried car wax only, on the teflon pads, around the ring/middle bolt, and around the outside of the opposite part to the teflon pads, which ~slightly~ improved things. I stuck one spacer in there too, which made it much better, but still not perfect. I just can't be arsed to take it all apart again to add more... I'l do it in a few days lol

Archived