Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SMC Takumar F1.8 55mm

swlloyd3

Looking to buy a prime lens for my canon 1000D for some nice widefields!

I heard these are pretty good and cheap lens's to get the job done!

<SMC Takumar F1.8 55mm>

After a bit of research I found there may be issue's with achieving infinity focus? Is this something I need to worry about or is there a particular EOS > M42 adapter I should buy to achieve perfect focus?

Also I hope to use my SW 2" LP filter on the front of this len's... Am I correct in assuming I would need a 50.8mm-42mm step down ring? Any idea where to get one?

Thanks!

Ste.

I have the Pentax takumar smc 50mm f1.8 and I get focus fine with a cheap EOS adapter, on my 400D

However the filter thread is not 42mm it is 49mm, so you would need a 50.8mm - 49mm step down ring but Im not sure if they are available in that size.

Lee

That image is incredible!!!!

I think I will be buying a lens like this!

Just found out the 2" LP is a 48mm thread (already had a 58-48mm for my normal eos lens :))

So bristol camera's sells 49-48mm threads, job done!

Are low profile adapter's the best to use?

Thanks.

Ste.

Yep, I use a step adaptor to put my LPR filter on (a) my nifty fifty and (:) my Takumar 135mm lens. The Takumar is a lovely 1950s one with a 46mm filter thread so it took me a while to find a 46 to 48mm step up ring but eventually found it.

I have the 55mm f1.8 lens and have just ordered an adapter ring on Amazon, should come later this week. So I'll be able to confirm (or not) that infinity focus can be reached. If not the ring goes back as it's guaranteed to give infinity focus.

The SMC Takumars where all good lenses, I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the early ones where Carl Ziess lenses (from their production line) but could not be branded as such.

The 50mm f1.4 is especially usefull and its a good idea to keep a look out for the 135mm at f2.5. Plenty of 135mm lenses at f2.8 around but the 2.5 is sometimes difficult to find.

Other lenses that I have used are medium format Bronica SQ which are better lenses than the ETRS. The beauty of the Bronica lenses is that the rear lens cap can be easily adapted to take a Canon fitting with plenty of back / infinity focus and since they are designed to produce 6x6cm negs less loss of light / quality on DSLR sensors.

The lens I have always wanted was the Canon 50mm f1.....!!!!! only ever seen these in auction catalogues!

Boyd

Just found an image that I took of M45 with one of the Bronica lenses (150mm f3.5 SQ lens)

Cant quit remember how many frames about 8 I think at 15sec exp. Will find out from notebook when I can find it.

By the way, my desire for the 50mm f1 Canon lens was for other uses, it would not be brilliant for astro work, they where never very sharp, the 50mm f1.2 that came after would be a better bet, still expensive!

Boyd

post-14731-13387772161_thumb.jpg

Archived