Looking for spc900

thanks drg, i had found these too and again while I am sure they are wonderful products i honestly feel they are a bit expensive. I am really hoping i haven't missed the boat on these.

C.

and you will also need a 1.25" nosepiece Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions and a lond exposure cable Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

It all starts to add up and this is perhaps looking like quite a good price as it seems to have all the bits you'd need for long exposures (if that is what you require) U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Hi All,

I just bought one one of these philips spc 900 webcams. I have windows 7 and have installed the drivers from Philips website. When I launch the app and want to test it, I can not see my face on the computer or any objects using the webcam. All I see is just light . Do you know what is wrong?:)

Regards

Some people do have very deep pockets, or more money than sense, but if there's a dire need to having one then people will pay any price, me i would wait,,:)

True :)

Also worth noting the Astronomizer ones are the modified versions to take long exposures, that's why they are "worth" more. The eBay ones are not :)

Hi All,

I just bought one one of these philips spc 900 webcams. I have windows 7 and have installed the drivers from Philips website. When I launch the app and want to test it, I can not see my face on the computer or any objects using the webcam. All I see is just light . Do you know what is wrong?:)

Regards

The webcam is probably not in focus. Twist the lens until you get a sharp image.

I've been looking for any webcam that has a manual focus and haven't found one in 4 days of looking or one with a CCD anymore. I've emailed loads of web cam makers but none of them currently make a web cam thats ccd with a manual focus. I think that for web cams CMOS sensors are cheaper and larger to make these days. The old philips hasn't been made for a long time the sp880/900 are not listed as current models. Please correct me if this isn't the case as Philips is one of the companies that hasn't replied to me.

Does anyone know of any webcams that have a manual focus that are actually current and/or in stock somewhere? even a cmos one will do for the purpose I want to use it for.

I think I'm going to make a LifeCam Studio into an astro cam next week (the studio has a 1920x1080p sensor in it although to run it at that resolution requires a quadcore and extra software). I'm just using the studio to see what it's like if it's to resource hungry to run at 1080 it's will also run at 720 like the LifeCam Cinema.

The focus point will be different to that of an eyepiece. If it is very out of focus and the light of the object you are looking for is very spread out then it may not pick up the light.

Turn up the gain & exposure as much as possible to help find the object. Then when you get near focus you can turn it back down to sensible levels (I do this through the controls on SharpCap free software)

The field of view of the webcam is pretty small so it also helps if you line up with a high power eyepiece (in any barlow you are going to use) before swapping in the webcam.

Hi guys,

I now can get Jupiter on computer using the webcam.

But is just a ball of light. Is there anyway to reduce the light so to be able to see the lines on the Jupiter? Will a filter help like Moon filter?

Thanks

Archived