Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ian King Imaging - priceless

MartinB

I like the idea of giving feed back on good service so here goes. The trouble is it could be a long post. Ian King is one of the UKs top imagers - check out the gallery on his website - www.iankingimaging.com He seemed a good person to chat to when I was looking at buying a CCD a few months ago. I learnt more talking to him for 5 minutes than in the hours I've spent reading books. Invaluable practical experience. We chatted about the kit I was using and what I wanted to do, and gave me lots of ideas. Since that initial purchase I have phoned him on numerous occasions for advice, sometimes this has had little to do directly with my purchase. When I asked him about focal reducers he directed me to an item he doesn't actually stock saying it would work better for me. When I was forking out on an adaptive optics unit he gave me a very frank assessment of the extra complexity of the system. I alway get the feeling that he only wants to sell me something that will best meet my needs. He is always happy to talk around the subject even when a sale isn't pending. When he doesn't have items in stock he gives me a clear idea of the likely wait.

The chance of speaking to a fellow enthusiast with his level of expertise and integrity is priceless.

It's not a course where you will be shown HOW to take an image, its more of an overview on equipment available. Tommy Worton does a demo of Maxim, but there is no background on what the techniques are that he shows. Nik Syzmaneck does a quick blast through PS showing some things that CAN be done, but again, no in depth tutorials.

Its a good day, and enjoyable, and you pick up plenty of tips - but I think 'course' is the wrong word.

They do bring 'stuff' to look at and there is plenty of time to ask questions and to have 1-2-1 chats with them - they are all very open and happy to talk about anything! And the lunches are good :)

I normally stay clear of threads that discuss other dealers but not this time.

Until FLO's owner earns his imaging stripes, the astrophotography section will remain empty and I will continue to send imaging enquiries to Ian King where I know they will be looked after. I confess, when I buy my first 'proper' imaging camera, it'll be from Ian :)

Archived