Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light 200P Dobsonian

Craig20264

Well, the time came and it was short but sweet. After an hour or so cooling, the scope not me, I went out to look at the universe, well at least our solar system would do for starters. At this point I came across schoolboy error number one, (i'm sure there will be many more!) Guess who forgot to line the finderscope during daylight hours.

:)

Well, it must have taken me a good half an hour to find Jupiter in the main scope but eventually we got there with the 25mm EP in. Everything lined up and in goes the 10mm, and there she is in all her glory with four moons on show. I could make out some faint banding, seeing was not brilliant but I was still in awe, what a sight. Next stop M42 with the 25mm EP back in mainly because I knew exactly where it was without faffing around, wasn't all that impressed but I don't think my collimation is brilliant, and coupled with wispy cloud now floating about I will put that down as an experience to improve on. Back to Jupiter with clouds now beginning to gather for half an hour, just staring, not quite believing how far away that thing is. Finally clouded over and put an end to the session, for now anyway.

I'm really impressed with my purchase so far, especially as I feel it has so much more to offer. With better collimation, better quality EP's and clearer skies it can only improve.

Putting it together was a piece of cake, collimation more taxing but I guess that comes with practice, and it's not too much of a handful to transport in and out of the house.

My one and only issue is the uncomfortable position I had to bend my body into to look through the finderscope, a minor point but worth mentioning. Angled Finder next purchase.

Grand stuff. You'll be looking for some better ep's soon :).

A lot of people use ironing chairs when using a dob. I think they sell them at Lidl.

You need to be comfy.

Got an old swivel draughtsmans chair, it's just the job,and soft :)

I'm still getting to grips with my 200p Skywatcher. Views of Jupiter are ok but are very blurry and are afflicted with red/blue on either side of the object. I can only make out 2 bands of brown and some extremely minor detail (as I have good eyes) in 25mm lense, the 10mm and 6mm lense shows jupiter as a blob with 2 brown bands and thats all I can see. I have been assured that an 8" should be capable of much more.... I await a diagnosis.

P.S When you view the moon, don't view it when it is full and bright, as I almost blinded myself doing just that. It'll take your breath away when you see the craters on it.

Archived