Refractor or Reflector???

I've been really getting into astronomy lately and I've decided to save for a good telescope. (I do already have a telescope, but it isn't very good at all).

What I want to ask is whether I should buy a refractor or reflector scope?

On Stargazing LIVE they said that refractors are good at looking at things like planets and large objects. Whereas a reflector is better for further away objects like looking at other galaxies such as M32.

Is this true?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reflectors are inch for inch a whole lot cheaper than Refractors.

Mirrors can reach diameters up to 12 Inches without breaking the bank, whereas a refractor of that size would be enormously expensive, and a lot of the expense would be borne by the Mount for it. An 200mm f5 Reflector is one of the most popular choices for an amateur astronomer, and the mount can be a simple Dobsonian type, to a sophisticated GoTo computersied mount.

Reflectors are the main choice fopr deep sky objects because of their superior light gathering capacity, although short focus Apochromatic refractors do a good job, they lack the objective size, unless you are a very wealthy Amateur. If you are a Planet Buff, a refractor is a good choice, a 100mm Apo f6 scope would suffice, but again can be expensive. An Achromatic refractor, one which can suffer from Chromatic Aberration, ie false colour, because the lens elements are crudish compared to an Apochromat, which consist of more sophisticated elements to bring the colours to the same focus, something the Achro. can't accomplish. The Achromats are a lot cheaper than their Apo. counterparts.:).

Ron.

The best value for money and performance per £ is delivered by the dobsonian scopes. They are newtonian reflectors mounted on simple manually operated mounts. most of your money goes on the optics with those which is what provides the views of course.

An 8" aperture dobsonian costs just under £300 and is a great scope to start, and continue, astronomy with.

I'm assuming visual observing here. Imaging is an entirely different ball game.

It all depends on how much you want to spend really. It wont be long until the words Sky- Watcher Skyliner 200p Dob comes up though. I just got one myself from FLO for £270. And the 150 comes in at just over £200 I think. These 2 scopes will give you the biggest bang for buck of any I believe. Good luck with your choice.

Yea for now I'm not interested in any photography. I'd rather not go for a dobsonian as I'd like to use it outside and we don't have much space to be carting something so big outside.

A Go To mount would be awesome, but I'm guessing that they're really expensive?

All scopes are for use outside - dobs included. You put them down, aim them and look through them. Simple as that. For an 8" GOTO scope your budget will need for be in the £800-£1,000 range I reckon.

I agree with the general consensus re dobs. The best view I have ever had of planets has been with reflectors of decent aperture.

a dob can stand in the corner of a room and takes up less space, it's more stable than a same price EQ mount on a tripod and is also less awkward to use.

you cannot go wrong with an 8" dob.

Lol, I know that scopes generally are used outside. However I've seen videos of people who use really big dobs through their skylight, and from what it seems they have their scope permanently set up in that room.

I hadn't realised that the dob base only takes up the same as a tripod :) Just been looking at some images taken from this scope First Light Optics - Celestron Omni XLT 150.

Though they were breath taking. Any opinions on that one? :)

Lol, I know that scopes generally are used outside. However I've seen videos of people who use really big dobs through their skylight, and from what it seems they have their scope permanently set up in that room.

I hadn't realised that the dob base only takes up the same as a tripod :) Just been looking at some images taken from this scope First Light Optics - Celestron Omni XLT 150.

Though they were breath taking. Any opinions on that one? :)

it's a good, well made scope but the mount provided in the price is 1) not driven so you'd need to buy motors and 2) would be possibly a little lightweight for imaging with that tube.

you are most likely to find that if the images were of anything other than the moon and possibly planets, that the tube was put onto another head and tripod which was a bit beefier.

not trying to put you off but do consider that the requirements of imaging and visual observing are really quite different.

I bought a 200mm dob (the same one) for the Astro Club at my primary school. it's great quality, easy to use and really gathers light well. even in really orange skies the other evening (at 5.30pm in almost central Stockport) we found the Andromeda Galaxy easily. the Year 5's were pointing it themselves within a few minutes. you'll love it.

Archived