NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging and real time viewing.

Aaron1996

Hi,

Just been watching 'Stargazing Live' and I wondered would you see the same view through a scope real time as you would in a long exposure (Or 'stacked'?) image would the image be improved. I had this question as I watched people's images of DSOs being displayed.

Thanks,

Bill.

For any given scope the camera image will be MUCH brighter that you would see through the scope eyepiece. Often the objects being images can't be seen at all if you were to look through the same scope you take the image with.

The images of DSO's that you see are the result of lots of exposures and lots of exposure time - often hours worth. In that time you get far more detail than can be achieved visually.

Due to my local LP, I often do my 'visual' observing by displaying the image from a camera onto the laptop, as a multi-second image will also show more in those LP conditions than looking directly through the e/p. This has also proved to be a useful technique when doing an astro evening for the local cub pack.

Astro video could help, giving near real-time results (they are sensitive low loght cams that do limited stacking). You'll still need a tracking camera. One other advantage of cameras is that they are sensitive to the red hydrogen alpha emission, which eyes are not, allowing you to see things you couldn't see at the eyepiece. There is a video observing sub forum on SGL, check it out.

PEter

Archived