Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image with refurbished 250PX

steppenwolf

I have recently refurbished my old Sky-Watcher 250PX Newtonian by flocking the inside and changing the r & p focuser for a Baader SteelTrack Crayford (hope Olly isn't reading this!) in readiness for using an off axis guider. This, is the first image through the new system - a work in progress and some tightening up of the collimation to be done but essentially, it is all working. The camera was my one shot colour SXVF-M25C.

ngc1514_150112.jpg

ngc1524_150112.jpg

Quite impressive Steve, and immediate proof your effort to rejuvenate this Newt. was very worthwhile.

There's a lot of mileage in this baby, and I'm sure you will draw the full potential out of it. You've made a great start for sure :D.

Ron.

I have recently refurbished my old Sky-Watcher 250PX Newtonian by flocking the inside and changing the r & p focuser for a Baader SteelTrack Crayford (hope Olly isn't reading this!) in readiness for using an off axis guider. This, is the first image through the new system - a work in progress and some tightening up of the collimation to be done but essentially, it is all working. The camera was my one shot colour SXVF-M25C.

Hi Steve,

A lovely image, but how do you know the collimation is off? Is it the slightly uneven diffraction spikes?

I'm loving the book by the way. I got my sister to get it for me for Christmas and it is confirming what I think I know and also informing me on what I don't :D

Steve : You want a F2.8, comon you know you do

So tempting - must resist .........

I have that camera. I don't have that image. Two facts that make me reach for that book again :-)

I've sort of got an image,..... err, I've got the book but I'd really like that 8" R/C !

A lovely image, but how do you know the collimation is off? Is it the slightly uneven diffraction spikes?

I'm fairly happy that my tracking is pretty good but the star shapes are not that good as they are elongated vertically so this could be an alignment issue in the optics. I have seen the diffraction spike issue but believe that bright stars on the left flare right and vice versa in my images so I suspect that this is overcorrection by the coma corrector - I'm working on that too.

Maybe one day I'll be able to concentrate on taking and processing images rather than fiddling with the gear all the time!!

urrmmm, I don't see any elongation to speak of. They all look fairly good to me. I think you need to get out more :)

My ex-wife wrote a book, so I emailed her to ask for a free copy..... I said I had a wobbly table. That is a true story AND she sent me a copy. Rest assured, your book will never suffer the same fate.... and nor would hers if it had been about astrophotography :D

post-29849-133877718805_thumb.jpg

Aaah....the often overlooked NGC1514, and a fine image of it :D

Looks like the newt is working well, and a bit of coma at the edges shouldn't be a worry with the smaller targets....you've got your 98 for the big nebs.

Cheers

Rob

A mighty fine image Steve

I'm fairly happy that my tracking is pretty good but the star shapes are not that good as they are elongated vertically so this could be an alignment issue in the optics. I have seen the diffraction spike issue but believe that bright stars on the left flare right and vice versa in my images so I suspect that this is overcorrection by the coma corrector - I'm working on that too.

Maybe one day I'll be able to concentrate on taking and processing images rather than fiddling with the gear all the time!!

I'd stare into my crystal ball and make a prediction for you if I had one............. oh hang on a sec :D

Archived