my first nebula!

we've finally got a cloud free evening (hooray!) so I have been outside staring at the Orion nebula for ages tonight, it is amazing!

I have identified one major issue though - if I am going to spend hours staring at the night sky in January I clearly need to invest in thicker socks, it is freezing out there :)

As a total beginner I'm only just starting to get the hang of figuring out where everything is - M42 was easy enough to find as Orion's belt is easy to identify and I could navigate from there.

Can anyone suggest any other 'easy' targets I can try to look for while I learn my way around the stars? I have got numerous books to read through but there are so many things I could look for, I don't really know where to start!

Congrats on M42. It is stunning.

You can also try for M45 (The Seven Sisters/Pleaides). Its not a nebula..............but an open cluster. Best views are through bins because you get the full view.

Also have a go with M31 (Andromeda Galaxy).

Then of course there is the double cluster in Perseus.

thanks all, great suggestions - I am heading back out into the cold shortly so will see what I can see.

I've seen Jupiter a couple of times now, which is brilliant - I think it is mind blowing to see moons orbiting another planet!

Well done on M42, i got my first look at it three days ago. Try looking at saturn, it's visible early in the morning at the minute but as the saying goes "the early bird gets the worm". And what a worm it is!

D.C

Archived