NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Been and gone and done it!!!!!

M4lcs67

After much deliberation I have finally plumped for a Baader Hyperion 68% 24mm eyepiece.

The word is that it a great piece of kit and will be a huge improvement on the stock 25mm that came with the scope.

I do intend to get a 8mm at some point, but a £92 a pop i'll have to do it a bit at a time.

Nice one Malc. When i had the Hyperions the 8mm was my favourite. With the addition of the fine tuning rings it covered all my high power needs. I remember comparing it + 14mm fine tuning ring with a 6mm TMB Planetary ll and the Hyperion knocked the spots of it. The 24mm i think is the same design as the 31 & 36mm Aspherics in a 1.25" format.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting it. I did read that the 24mm is not compatable with the adaptor rings. Don't know why that is. Certainly intend to get them when I get the 8mm. I like the fact that it is modular and thus can become several eyepieces in one.

Robin. I see you have an Ultima 2x barlow as well. How do the Hyperions work in that? The Ultima is a good piece of kit in it's own right, so adding an equally good ep should give you a fighting chance of getting good results. Spoke to Martin at FLO and he said that combination on my 127 SLT should be good.

The 24mm Hyperion does not use a lower lens group in the 1.25" barrel. The fine tuning rings work by increasing the distance between the upper lens group and the lower one - hence they don't work with the 24mm Hyperion.

Well my new Hyperion 24mm arrived this morning. Blimey. It is a big chunky thing. Looking forward to getting it outside. Going to test it's 68% fov on the Pliades I think. Currently I have to move the scope in order to see it as the stock ep is'nt that great whereas I should get it all in now.

Also I will be glad of the 68% fov when slewing to objects with the goto as currently the scope can go past something I am trying to observe so being able to see that little bit of extra sky should help me.

If the 24mm does good (and I have no doubt that it will) I think I will get the 8mm and the adaptor rings. I like the fact that it is a modular design and therefore can become several different eyepieces in one.

Please post a report of your findings :D

Interestingly, the Hyperions are one of those designs which get larger (or longer at least) as the focal length gets shorter. The 5mm and 3.5mm Hyperions are about twice as tall as the 24mm.

Enjoy the views !

My Hyberion-8 24mm arrived couple days back, managed a short amount of time today before the clouds then some rain arrived, it made Jupiter sharp and crisp with the 4 moon's standing out this was before the sun went down, a bit later when darkness arrived looking at Almaak it split the 2 stars the wider FOV required looking at the sides of the FOV some thing i think will become more natural with time, sorry the clouds arrive then so no time to search for DSO ect.

Archived