first light night yay!

Just very roughly set up my new (second hand) Skywatcher 200, and I've been staring at Jupiter for ages, this things addictive!

Made out all 4 moons earlier, but think the one closest has now gone around the back. Got to see stripes so was pretty much made up TBH. Never used any scope before, and I know there are things I need to do to this one before I get truely great images, but hey, what a start! :)

Wasn't expecting to see anything really, not on the first attempt. Waiting for Orion Nebula to come into sight and then I'll go give it some more, but for now just need to warm up lol

Isn't it just mindblowing when you are targeting Jupiter and all of a sudden this beautiful round disc with crisp bands across it pops into view.

Believe it or not.............as good as it is................its not the best. Wait til you see Saturn.

I saw Saturn for the 1st time in a scope about 5 yrs ago and i can remember my exact words.

I cant print them here though.

So, I've learnt a few things in my quick play.

1, I need to set some bricks so I've got a good level, sturdy base to start with.

2, I need to figure this polar alignment thing.

3, I need a radiator outside.

4, I need to collimate so I know it's been done

5, Re-align the finderscope so it's centered (I managed to get it close enough to get the object in the eyepiece, just had to adjust on the slow motion wheels a bit)

Once I've done that I can get the motor drive charged and working and away we go for hours of fun. But for a first quick play I really cannot begin to describe how amazed I am. And how lucky was I that the skies were clear the night I picked it up?!

hi sounds good rember not to keep go in and out the house every 5 mins all that light will kill ya night vision which take 15/20 mins to get and a 30 sec run in the house can kill it

Yeah, but first night excitement had me running in to tell the Missus what I'd seen every 10 mins or so lol. Also need a shotgun for next doors outside light me thinks :)

watched stargazing live again tonight then went outside for a quick gander, and yep, it's clearish! So I set up on the newly laid bricks and polar aligned (I think). Certainly seems a lot better than sunday night. Just letting her cool down whilst I wait for the missus to go to bed. Think I might have a couple of hours, be rude not to :D going to go for Andromeda I think...... we'll see lol

Archived