NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger mount...

Jessun

Hi all,

I am right now looking at subs coming in from my first ever go at the Horse and flame - just one of those very tempting ones for a newbie to image....

It's quite windy this evening and I judge from my subs that my setup is being bashed by the wind to the point that stars are now twice as wide as they are high... terrible in one word.

I have been toying with the idea of a more capable mount for some time hoping to achieve a better tracking even in a bit of a breeze.

My immediate candidates are AP1200, ASA DDM85, 10 Micron GM2000 Ultraport. I am very interested in the ASA with its direct drive and clever alignment software, but the AP has a long proven history, and has all the 'usual' bits and bobs I got used to like a SBIG standard autoguide port etc.... The 10 micron is very capable too but 24 V so that's a bit of a disadvantage perhaps... Paramount some may suggest? And why not I suppose... for some reason not on my short list.

I basically need a solid mount that can be moved occationally.

Any advice from users of these type of mounts appreciated!

Oh, another wobbly sub just downloaded...:)

All good ideas, I just try to get the most of my balcony in a city centre and when it's not smogged up (is that even a word?) I need to be out there! I have an area less than 3 by 3' to work on, so a bit stuck really...

My immediate candidates are AP1200, ASA DDM85, 10 Micron GM2000 Ultraport. ... The 10 micron is very capable too but 24 V so that's a bit of a disadvantage perhaps...
If I was spending 5-figures (USD, Euro or Sterling) on a mount I wouldn't be too worried about another 100 for a 24Volt power supply.

I would not take the asa mount in your case.

1:around 65 kg of total weight ( included 10kg counterweight)

2:when you move the mount, and for accurate operation you need to make a pointingfile, in automated sequence this still will take up a full 1 hour, so for your alingment you should already calculate 2hours roughly.

3: there are still some problems with the mount, i get 20 to 30 minuts frames without autoguiding, but some times motor errors (seems to be happening to other users to that are not using autoguiding )

I have also spoken other users from AP,10micron,paramount they all sayed those mounts also have problems, but their design is already there for years and most of the problems have been solved over time.

My site is exposed & can get pretty windy, I'm talking flying roof debris at times! Most of the roofs around here were badly damaged in the last storm a couple of weeks ago. Of course I'm not out in that weather but yet I'm amazed how well my neq6 copes in pretty windy conditions.. The PHD trace is a little wild but it handles it. I just don't extend the legs so it's closer to the ground.

Hmm, interesting. I've ploughed through the ASA manuals and never thought it would be that time consuming to align. The general idea of the mount is brilliant though.

The AP seems to be the most similar one to an ordinary SW mount, just a bit more solid. Polar scope, SBIG port etc... and cheapest of the lot. Perhaps the winner for my needs.

Thanks for your input guys!

The polar alingment will take around 30 minuts.

the other 1,5 hour will be needed for the pointingfile.

This pointingfile will contain a certain amount of ''stars/position'' ( in my case i have chosen for 82 ''stars/positions''.

This file is needed to measure the failure of youre setup on the whole night sky ( think about flexure, collimation etc )

It can be automaticly done but it still takes time ( taking exposures from around 10 seconds x 82 + slewing time etc )

The advantage of this file is that you can correct a certain amount of failures wich allows you to work without autoguiding.

Soon i release a topic wiht more information about the mount and software story.

I saw you image from a balcony?

In that case you can not see the whole night sky?

Archived