Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help......Primary Mirror Misted Up.

Please help.

How do I get back outside viewing?

I had a brilliant session earlier and managed to find M31 after two evenings unable to locate it.

I came in for a cuppa and to warm up.

When I went back out, my view was all misted up. :)

I've brought the scope in now and it is covered in condensation. When it finally dries out (which looks like it could be some time) it'll be another 20mins to cool down.

How can I avoid this in future and is there anything I can do to get back out quickly to appreciate the best conditions so far.

Andy

Is that effective on a Newtonian of this length? The primary is already a long way down the tube.

I can rig something up if it will help.

Is there anything I can do to get the mirror dry and cooled down so I can start observing again tonight?

Andy

You sure it's the primary that dewed up? it's usually the secondary that goes first, and the primary MUCH later. A hairdryer on the secondary will sort it out. A home made dew shield (camping mat) will delay the effect, and usually lasts a good few hours.

You've buggered it now by bringing it in though, it'l be steamed up for a good few hours now... :)

You sure it's the primary that dewed up? it's usually the secondary that goes first, and the primary MUCH later. A hairdryer on the secondary will sort it out. A home made dew shield (camping mat) will delay the effect, and usually lasts a good few hours.

You've buggered it now by bringing it in though, it'l be steamed up for a good few hours now... :D

Ah well, you live and learn. Night shorter than I'd hoped. :(Ah well off to bed now and maybe I'll get up early to catch my first glimpse of Saturn. Long may the clear skies last.:)

Archived