Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Digital Camera?

I'm a proper newbie to astronamy, so bear with me!

I'm set to buy a new digital camera soon, mainly for my wedding, but in the back of my mind is also to take pictures through my scope (Celestron Astomaster 130eq).

Are there any suggestions to what to go for? I'm a newbie to photography aswell, so the best possible outcome for the least knowledge is the key; but I will be 'learning the basics' once bought.

I'm looking for a SLR, probably with a budget of £300. Will that be enough for a half decent SLR?

Any help appreciated.

:icon_scratch:

canon dslr 1100d best new camera close to your price range,has telescope adapters readily available , has live view which helps with focusing , and low pixel noise . plenty of people on here use canon dslr's just look thrpough photography / imaging sections.

Hi! I had abt the same question a little while ago, tons of people replied... they all said... CANON. Mainly because the ease of use, descent price and most astronomical software is compatible with it. So, Canon it was! Got myself a EOS 1100D which I learnt is the replacement model for 1000D.

I'd say any model 300D and upwards (unless you want a REALLY expensive camera, then you should look for those lower number models) will be ok for the business, but they (i think) are hard to find new... could be wrong here though.

I also asked here on the forum if I should get image stabilizer (IS) because the 1100D comes with various objectives (and various price tags). The answer was that for astronomical use, it doesnt matter.

Haven't tried it for astronomical applications yet (my main use will be photometry of variable stars), 'coz the skies haven't been clear enough. A good thing to do is to practice on all those settings during the cloudy nights, because there is a vast number of settings! Whew!

Good luck!

1000d for me. Has the liveview function, is USB2 compatible and is lightweight. The lightweight is useful as it prevents deflections.

Haven't got round to modifying it yet but perhaps in a few months when SWMBO isn't looking. :D

Would echo what others say as focusing distance on a newt is very different from eyepieces and DSLRs. On my f4 I can easily focus the 1000d with it in the coma corrector but to to use an eyepiece I have to use an extension tube.

Kind of makes more sense when you use a DSLR on a refractor cos you can take the diagonal out for photographs but not for eyepieces. The diagonal lengthens the optical path (I think it's this way round) :icon_scratch:

Archived