Using a laptop outside

We are getting a laptop soon as an additional computer to compliment the desktop that we have already.

I was thinking of getting a webcam that I can use with my scope, but was concerned about using it outside because of dew/ moisture. I obviously don't want a brand new laptop going up in a puff of smoke. (Don't think that would be covered under the warranty).

How does everyone else manage?

Thanks for any advice/tips.:icon_scratch:

Best advice is not to bother unless you really need it for imaging. It's an extra thing to go wrong and the screen will be too bright unless dimmed with a layer or two of Rubylith. If you're really sure you want to do this then you can build a box surrounding the laptop and place this on a table. The box retards dew formation and the heat produced by the laptop should keep dew off. It's better to bring a working laptop outside than switch on a very cold one once you get out. This will reduce the stress on moving components like the fans and hard disk.

It really depends on how far you're scope is away from inside the house. You could potentially run a USB repeater cable all the way from laptop to the scope and plug the cam in at the scope end if you see what I mean. If you are purely imaging and not observing (unless at a star party) I have found that it's not alway necessary to dim or cover the screen.

I use mine outside and have not yet had any dew problems, is this because the laptop is a warm surface? doesnt dew normally form on cold surfaces? im not all that clued up on the mechanics. Admitedly it is an old laptop thats only just capable of running the required programs. The Battery is knackered so I use an RCD protected extension lead which also doubles as the supply for my tracking motors. If I did notice dew forming id shut down straight away and get the hair dryer on it then leave it switched off for 24hrs. I have considered using an extension USB cable so I can keep the laptop indoors but decided that would make focusing a nightmare. The bright screen has not been an issue for imaging planets for me but for observing id agree it would be a no no

I always have my laptop outside with me. Usually run a mains extension lead outside to run the scope/laptop/etc. Have never had dew problems on the laptop (it seems the sligtht warmth of the electonics acts like a telescope dew heater strip), although you have to watch out, as I can be imaging in the south sky and not notice the clouds arriving overhead which start to rain. That's only happened to me twice, but when it does, it's fun getting everything under cover. First priority is ALWAYS to get the mains power switched off.

Thanks for your very valuable advice guys. I do have an external power point on the wall at the back of my house about 5/6 metres from where I usually set the scope up. Interesting idea Spikey. Didn't know that you could do something like that. Thanks for your idea Umadog. Yes I guess that if you covered the computer with a cardboard box then that would take the dew and not the laptop. Also I guess by virtue of the fact that the laptop would be running thus generating a little heat which would keep any potential sources of moisture away.

I suppose it is a shame that no one has invented an all in one webcam that you save images to or plug in a usb stick, take the images then take the usb stick indoors and then plug it into the computer.

I actually travel to my spot by a car so I use a car adapter.

When it's warm, I leave the laptop in the boot with the boot lid open, in case I wish to consult Stellarium. The open boot lid serves as a dew umberlla so no dew falls down on it. It is way better than keeping it unprotected. Oh, and I always keep the laptop running, even when I do not need it at the time - a running laptop keeps itself constantly warm.

When it's cold outside, below zero even, I do the same but I keep the boot lid shut or additionally, I sometimes keep the laptop running and concealed in a trasporter case - the laptop's exhaust heat keeps the inside of the case warm and cosy indeed (so no sleep-mode with the lid shut then :icon_scratch:)

After I get home, I let the laptop adjust to room temperatures for some time before I turn it on again.

Anyway, more tips are welcomed.

I use an Acer Aspire 1 netbook powered from a 40AH Ring Power Tank. This has a 300w inverter which handles the load easily, keeping the netbook fully charged, It also powers a floodlight when packing away.

The netbook has had some dew and even frost on it but the processor heat keeps the important bits dry. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

Barry

Archived