Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Definite answer@

I went through some galleries where the authors documented the equipment they used. I limited my search to photos of galaxies, specifically Andromeda to get to a basic set for astrophotography:

This is what I found and I need feedback if this is a good choice. Many time is found that the equipment was discontinued so there may be better options than this.

I need: GOTO capabilities, tracking

Sturdy mount

For Galaxies astrophotography at the most

Moderate size so I can take it to a dock at the lake 30 feet away

I have no idea what they are:

And need feedback on how much I am going to spend for a similar set with a few extras like a Barlow, etc

Selected these for the quality of the photos they showed, though 80mm seems low

1) SW 89mm Refractor, CG5 mount, Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider package and CAnon T1i (I have a T2i)

2) Onyx 80mm, CG5 mount, unguided (I prefer guided)

- Similar packages suggestion

- Price except for camera

cg5 gt is your absolute minimum mount skywatcher heq5 would be better but the cg5 gt is a little more portable. something like this as a guide scope TS 50mm straight viewfinder with bracket and 1.25' focuser

some sort of 80mm apo or ed refractor and if you are not using a laptop a stand alone guider like this First Light Optics - Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider I think that's the most portable set up I have seen without spending mega bucks. to be fair the cg5gt will not take much more payload than that for imaging. the heq5 takes a little more weight, weighs a little more and is a fair bit more accurate but costs about £200 more

sorry I have just looked at the orion mini autoguider and you are obviously using a laptop so scrub the synguider suggestion in fact scrub my entire post you pretty much have it down pat. with your first suggestion

No, Do not use nor plan to use a laptop. Is the first scope in addition to the actual scope as a guide? Excuse my ignorance on the matter. I can spend around $400 for the scope.

ok you need an ed80 or similar for your main scope not much bigger if you are using the cg5gt. you need a finder scope no bigger tham 50mm and it should be able to take 1 +1/4" eyepieces this will be your guidescope. If you are not using a laptop you will need the synguider or similar. that with your camera and t thread etc should see you for about the most portable and cheap guided astrophotography setup without using a laptop.

there's a fair few threads on cloudy nights about using this sort of setup

I've read the previous posts in this thread and can assure you that the CG5 GT is capable of carrying far more than just a small refractor for imaging. Mine is carrying an 8" Newt with a 88mm refractor piggybacked for guiding without any problem. Superb mount at a much more reasonable price than the Skywatcher ones (I'm not doubting that Skywatcher mounts are good). If you don't believe me, look at my gallery - most of my images taken on the CG5 mount with the 8" newt and refractor set up.:icon_scratch:

Regards

John

I have to say those are pics I would be proud to take. i was looking at the wrong weight limit for the cg5 for some reason my apologies looking at those pics it's a lot more capable mount than I was led to believe

So good to know. Nice pictures, btw.

ok you need an ed80 or similar for your main scope not much bigger if you are using the cg5gt. you need a finder scope no bigger tham 50mm and it should be able to take 1 +1/4" eyepieces this will be your guidescope. If you are not using a laptop you will need the synguider or similar. that with your camera and t thread etc should see you for about the most portable and cheap guided astrophotography setup without using a laptop.

there's a fair few threads on cloudy nights about using this sort of setup

Also, I don't think you will get good results with a Synguider and a 50mm finder as a guide scope. I stand to be corrected, but my experience was that my Synguider needed quite bright stars to guide properly using a 70mm refractor. When I upgraded to a SW 80ST the available guide stars increased dramatically, so that would be my minimum as a guides cope with a Synguider... Course that may be influenced by my local conditions...

Archived