What's this effect I'm seeing?

Being a bit of a noob this is not something ive seen before but i assume it is "normal". Just wondering if someone can explain it.

I was out tonight and pointed my telescope at Sirius. I still had a high power ep in and noted that I was unable to resolve it into a point and noted that it seemed to be split into two colours - one half blue and the other yellow. I'm guessing this is an effect of the atmosphere/instability?

i also looked at sirius for the first time last night. as it was quite low i put it down to atmosphere effecting the view,as it was like a traffic light flashing colours at me,quite mesmirising.

Fortunately, Sirius is probably one of the worst stars for this, others shouldn't be so bad. It is very bright, and often low down to so is very twinkly due to the depth of atmosphere the light has to travel through

Stu

Archived