can finderscopes be mounted onto tube rings?

Hi, I've got Celestron astromaster 114eq and all I've been able to view is the moon since I got it due to the fact I cannot use the red dot finder. Its driving me mad! I was wondering can I attach a finder onto the tube rings as it seems there's holes in both the front and rear ring, are they for this purpose or not? I just don't fancy the idea of drilling into the tube itself. Many thanks in advance as current finder is very disshartening with this being my first scope.

You can mount a finder anywhere provided it can be firm and will stay aligned to where the main scope is pointing. The Rigel Quikfinder is a 2-ring reticule type finder which uses sticky pads rather than drilling for mounting.

ah thankyou answered a question i was thinking of for me! the red dot scope is so useless its ridiculous theyd only supply them with them on,

the holes are made the same size as the thread on the bottom of a camera for mounting one, dont think the astromaster 114 comes with a screw already in it like the 130.

just googled the rigel quikfinder and its a reflex type, would this be much more accurate? ive used one on a gun and that was but the red dot on the astromaster has kind of put me off

Here is a link to the Rigel Quikfinder:

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

As you can see it projects (or appears to project) 2 rings onto the sky. Once aligned with the scope (a one-off adjustment) these stay accurate and clearly show where the scope is pointing in the sky.

It's along the same principle as the one supplied with the scope but it's much, much better made. To be honest the Astromaster's have about the worst red dot finders around. Otherwise decent scopes though.

After trying to use one on my Celestron 114LCM and asking for help, I quickly found that most owners had similar problems. The two rings can be lined up perfectly on terrestrial objects. The fun starts when it gets dark. Turn on the red dot and the one nearest you is a huge blob that can obscure the faint one on the front lens. You have little chance of getting the scope on target.

After trying to use one on my Celestron 114LCM and asking for help, I quickly found that most owners had similar problems. The two rings can be lined up perfectly on terrestrial objects. The fun starts when it gets dark. Turn on the red dot and the one nearest you is a huge blob that can obscure the faint one on the front lens. You have little chance of getting the scope on target.

I have just looked at a 114LCM and the finder is not the one I thought it was.

would you recomend that quikfinder over a cheaper 5x24 crosshair scope or similar on ebay? as its near the top of what i can afford after purchasing a higher quality lens and tax for my car!

A Rigel, Telrad or red dot finder does not magnify like a 5x24 it projects a target or dot onto a clear screen which at night looks like it is projected on to the night sky so you just point the target at whatever you want too look at. I and many others find them much easier to use than magnifying finderscopes.

the problem i find with the current red dot is that your eyes either have to focus on the dots or the subject your looking at, not both at the same time, whereas the low magnification finder on a little refractor i had before let me focus onto the subject to get a better idea of where im aiming. i found it much more useable even though it didnt even have a crosshair!

My issue with RDF's/finderscopes is that no matter what scope i use (see my signature to see my scopes), i have to get out of my wheelchair and kneel down to look through them.

Being in a wheelchair, if i raise the tripod of my scope(s) so that i can look directly through a RDF/finderscope.........................it puts the EP out of reach for me.

So over the years i have learned to simply star hop. I know the general location of my target and i use my widest EP to look in that direction and i slowly increase magnification until i am on target.

It works. It takes a few seconds longer but for people with mobilily issues...........it the way to go.

My new Go-To scope makes life a bit more easy, so why the hell should i not use it

got a proper go with my scope for the first time after it cleared up earlier and see what you mean lukeskywatcher, i guess the red dot is just to get in roughly the right direction ( although i still want to upgrade to make it a little easier )

on another note found my first DSO, orion nebula and got my mount polar aligned properly so im double chuffed tonight! *pats self on back*

Archived