Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M35 & NGC2158 "The unlikely double cluster"

GordonH

Hi

I don't normally do star clusters especially the open clusters as I don't personally find them "interesting enough" (with the exception of M45 and the double cluster where there is something else of interest in the FOV) but on the odd occasion when weather and light pollution is too bad and the right combination of subjects come into view I give them a go as in the case of this image of M35 and NGC2158 which are two very contrasting open clusters that are totally unrelated to each other. M35 is a relatively young cluster made up of bluish stars while NGC2158 is about 10x older and made up of reddish stars and is also 4x further away than M35. They appear nicely in the FOV of the FSQ106ED and ML8300.

Exposure time is 12x5 minutes each for RGB which took me all night to do with continual interuptions for cloud and occasional rain

Here is a link to the full size image

M35 and NGC2158 - "An unlikely double cluster" photo - Gordon Haynes photos at pbase.com

Thanks for looking

Best wishes

Gordon

post-13589-133877714478_thumb.jpg

Great result GH.

NGC2158 is Mag. 12 and Is really prominent in your Picture. It's a whole lot further than M35, and usually comes out a dim patch, but this is a splendid result.:(

Ron.

I found it listed as mag 8.6. Seems to match my observation better than 12. I could pick out stars quite readily in averted vision, even in a night with half a moon. I think many of the brighter stars themselves are mag 12 or thereabouts. Agree with the :o, however :p

I found it listed as mag 8.6. Seems to match my observation better than 12. I could pick out stars quite readily in averted vision, even in a night with half a moon. I think many of the brighter stars themselves are mag 12 or thereabouts. Agree with the :(, however :o

Another look confirms you are correct Michael, Don't know where I got 12 from. Apologies if I misled anyone.

Ron.

Archived