NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What next?

So I have just blown my budget on this (being delivered Monday in time for the new moon phase, hope for no clouds!)

Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

Phillips Astrocam

TAL Barlow x2

Turn left at Orion book

What should I be saving the pennies for next?

im guessing a collimator will be the 1st essential?

I would also guess a collimator, but also maybe just get used to the scope and what it does "as-is", and findng things with it that interest you; this would give a clearer idea of what you need to get you the best out of the scope.

Sensible advice above - get used to the scope first and then see where you stand - no rush though I bet a Telrad will come into the equation at some point! :(

Telrad as a replacement for the red dot finder that comes with it?

My advice, for what it's worth :( ... get used to your scope, learn your way around the skies a bit. A collimator would be my next investment but so long as you are not transporting the scope far / bumping it, then it should stay quite well aligned.

After that probably new eyepieces.

Thanks all, am planning to take it camping in the summer so I guess a collimator would be an essential really.

That telrad page is interesting, can someone explain the benefits over the red-dot finder that will come with the scope though? ease of use? accuracy?

The Telrad has 3 reticules (rings) which are transposed onto the star your searching for - you centre it and bingo there it is in your EP (assuming it's aligned properly - which is the same process as aligning your red dot finder) - the beaulty of the Telrad is that loads of sky maps/atlases have Telrad overlays printed on them, so it makes star hopping a doddle - disadvantages? - well, they're quite bulky and have no magnification

The Telrad has 3 reticules (rings) which are transposed onto the star your searching for - you centre it and bingo there it is in your EP (assuming it's aligned properly - which is the same process as aligning your red dot finder) - the beaulty of the Telrad is that loads of sky maps/atlases have Telrad overlays printed on them, so it makes star hopping a doddle - disadvantages? - well, they're quite bulky and have no magnification

didnt realise that atlases do this - interesting, will check out the ones I have to see what they have!

Used to have a Heritage 130 can't really think how you would fit either a Telrad or Rigel onto it. Stick with the red dot finder it is fine.

How did you find it? guess you upgraded to a larger scope?

I just been reading about flocking - is that worth the effort too? (or even possible on the flextube?)

Scope was great. It was my first real telescope and taught me that simplicity can be best/better, you've no electronics to worry about it's just you, the scope and the night sky. If you are to do one thing to improve the scope (other than checking the colliamtion) I would make a shroud to prevent any stray light entering the extended truss section.

After a few months with the scope I had got to grips with the night sky & collimation and wanted more aperture so bought a 10" Dobsonian. Sold the Heritage now but I sometimes wish I still had it.

Archived