Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Moon Mosaic

Dark Infinity

That's good for a first mosaic - you don't say what your "not best" scope is??

It's a Celestron Powerseeker 70 Az. I got it for $50 at wal-mart on black Friday. It was something to get me started and practice a few techniques until I found out what I really want to do, and what kind of good scope I want to get.

It's a Celestron Powerseeker 70 Az. I got it for $50 at wal-mart on black Friday. It was something to get me started and practice a few techniques until I found out what I really want to do, and what kind of good scope I want to get.

Always good to start somewhere. you can get a bit more detail and sharpness with what you have already...probably a decent X2 barlow will get you a bit more and a cheap webcam...I am running a 3" reflector AZ right now so no worries I am right along side with you.

Always good to start somewhere. you can get a bit more detail and sharpness with what you have already...probably a decent X2 barlow will get you a bit more and a cheap webcam...I am running a 3" reflector AZ right now so no worries I am right along side with you.

I wasn't sure if it would be worth getting a cheap webcam or not. I've been using a projection adapter for my Nikon D3100. Is there a decent fairly inexpensive webcam that would still let me drop an eyepiece in there?

My scope came with a 3x barlow which is fairly useless for this scope, considering even with the largest eyepiece I have (20mm) it drops me into the greater than the maximum usable magnification for the scope... Not sure why it came with one.

If I drop my adapter down to prime focus it may be useful.

what is your focal length? I think it is around 700 like mine is and from what I know so far about aperture 2100mm is probably too much like you said...I was thinking of a 2x barlow with a cheap web cam but not sure what I will be seeing with only 1400mm focal length either...in my experimenting phase...I did however get a mount for my dslr to do some afocal photography but it seems you are rather limited to just the moon if you want goo crisp shots...the ones in my gallery of the moon are done with a 20mm and 10mm ep in afocal. With my dlsr I don't think I will ever spend the money for guiding and all that so probably will stick to just wide view shots with her...would rather dish out for a mono ccd if I did all that high speed picture taking.

That's a good result, I brightened it up a bit for you. If you don't have a graphics package then Gimp and Paint.net are both good and free.

I feel dumb... I usually use DSS to apply dark frames and then raw therapee to do any additional adjustments. I was so excited that I got my first mosaic together I didn't even touch up the images at all...

Good morning everyone. :(

Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

So i finally got around to actually doing the clean-up work on this one. Not sure if I am completely happy with how it turned out. I think it lost some detail on the bottom right. I may play around with it some more. But here is what I have.

Moon%252520Mosaic2Edit.jpg

Archived