Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 new ep,s for my 200p flextube need help please

chesty

right guys at last i have the funds to upgrade the stock ep,s that came with my 200p flex tube auto, i am thinking a 32mm hopefully for some nebulae (havent seen much yet) and an 8mm to hopefully see a bit more detail on jupiter etc, so i guess my 2 questions are,

1) would these size ep,s be suitable for my scope ?

2)my choices televue 8mm+32mm plossl

William Optics SWAN eyepiece 9mm 1.25"+33mm 2"

the later would prob leave me a few quid spare for a barlow or filter.

your thoughts eagerly anticipated :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV plossl's should be good, they are rated to f/4 so your scope should be easy enough for them. The disadvantage is that the 8mm will not have not a lot of eye relief.

The SWAN's are a nice set but they are only rated to f/6. Which matches your scope but I wonder if it is a case that the aberations are considered acceptable at f/6 but not at f/5. Meaning thay may not be perfect.

Alternatives would be the TMB PLanetary's or BST Explorers. Both have a wider field the plossl's but less then SWAN's.

I see that the TS version of BST's are sold as Flat Field eyepieces meaning thay are more suited to shorter F number scopes. Not seen this aspect mentioned elsewhere but could be worth considering. 8mm and 25mm BST being the price of 1 TV plossl.

Vixen plossl's also have a good name, as a possible alternative to TV's. TV's are supposed to be increasing in price soon.

Meade (5000 ?) super plossl's are another and these are I think more like SWANS as the number of lens, their configuration and field of view are more alike.

I've got a mix of GSO Revelation and Meade 4000 plossls and they work well in my 200P solid tube dob. Depending on your budget I'd suggest going for wider FOV than the 52 degrees of a plossl.

I like the Hyperions and they work well in my telescope. The fine tuning rings also allow me to take advantage of the modular design to give 4 focal lengths per eyepiece (apart from in the 24mm).

Personally I'd go for a 12mm plus a barlow, giving 6mm for those rare good nights. At 1200mmFL I find it's the 12mm that I use the most, giving 100x mag. You might find an 8mm is a bit much for a 'main' EP.

Choose your barlow wisely. Anything but a decent one will give very poor results. TAL for a good budget barlow, the Orion Shorty Plus or Celestron Ultima x2 for higher end.

twotter i like the look of the hyperions and they are within my budget i am looking to spend upto £200 for the 2 ep,s but they only go upto 24mm and i want one for dso,s and i dont understand what you mean by The fine tuning rings also allow me to take advantage of the modular design to give 4 focal lengths per eyepiece :(

google baader... it explains it easily...you add or take away the attached rings to alter the focal length / mag.

A 2inch 32mm panaview should work well with your 'scope...as will the celestron X-Cel LX range... on a good night the 9mm + barlow will give great views...& as it's a 60 deg view..less nudging

twotter i like the look of the hyperions and they are within my budget i am looking to spend upto £200 for the 2 ep,s but they only go upto 24mm and i want one for dso,s...

I use my 24mm on DSOs too and for most targets it's fine. The only exceptions are M31 and M45 which are just that bit too big for the FOV, so I'm saving for a Baader Hyperion 36mm Aspheric First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Aspheric

Though the Panaview does get very positive comments for SGLers and it's a fair bit cheaper!

:(

i am really unsure now i thought this was going to be easy lol i now really like the look of the hyperions not sure what size was thinking maybe the 13mm + barlow but i think for my widefield i think the 24mm will not be big enough so if i can stretch my budget i might go for the Baader Hyperion 31 or 36mm Aspheric what do you think guys ?

I would go 32mm panaview,18mm bst explorer and a good x2 barlow lens, then on good nights you could Barlow the 18mm for good views of the planets. From my experience, I have yet to have a good night where using higher than 9mm gives me better views, most clarity has been with a 9, 12mm ep.

I would suggest the 13mm Hyperion, plus the 14mm and 28mm Fine Tuning Rings. That gives you 13mm, 10.8mm, 9.2mm & 8.1mm. Then the 32mm Panaview, or save up for the 36mm Aspheric (my Virgo OCD makes me prefer a 'set' of Hyperions rather than a mix of different EPs :o).

My 13mm is good for a range of targets and is probably the EP I use the most these days (nights :(). For £15ish the FTRs give more options...winner!

Should put this in Beginners Help really but I don't want to create new threads every time I have a question :( (of which I have many lol).

Anyways, looking at the very nice hyperion eps and spacer rings, are these eyepieces suitable for a fast (f4.7) newt?

Would a coma corrector eliminate any optical abberation present due to fast focal ratio?

Got a feeling coma might be a different type of optical abberation but need to know prior to purchase

Thank you for helping a novice

Should put this in Beginners Help really but I don't want to create new threads every time I have a question :( (of which I have many lol).....

I can understand why you might feel this but starting new threads is completely fine and I'd actually encourage it because you will get a lot more responses that way.

Tagging another question onto the end of an existing thread often goes largely unnoticed resulting in a limited response.

Just a helpful tip there :o

On the questions you raise, the Hyperions start to show a noticeable amount of astigmatism in F/6 and faster scopes in my experience. It's a matter of personal "taste" but I feel it gets distracting at around F/5 and faster.

Coma correctors won't really help much as they deal with the newtonian abberation of coma which is different from eyepiece generated astigmatism.

twotter i have to say i am really taken with the hyperions 13mm and the Baader Hyperion Aspheric although the 13mm doesnt get very good reviews, am also still looking at the swans even though advised against them :( i am wondering now (being a novice) am i right in saying if i chose either of these it must be a better view than the standard sw 9mm + 25mm that came with the scope ?

twotter i have to say i am really taken with the hyperions 13mm and the Baader Hyperion Aspheric although the 13mm doesnt get very good reviews, am also still looking at the swans even though advised against them :o i am wondering now (being a novice) am i right in saying if i chose either of these it must be a better view than the standard sw 9mm + 25mm that came with the scope ?

I don't notice any issues with the 13mm in my 200P dob which is F6 so bear in mind if other reviewers have faster telescopes. Mine was second hand and from the first view it has had the 'wow factor'. I was so impressed I decided to collect more and secondhand 17mm & 8mm EPs followed, then the 24mm new. Price wise they've cost from £65 up to £92 and with the FTRs I think they're good value for money. Put another way I don't wish I'd bought another brand, be it BSTs, WOs, Meades or even the mighty Televues. I don't know about the SWANs so can't help there.

My 200P came with 25mm (not bad) and 10mm (not good) EPs. I used them for quite some time before I bought a mix of GSO Revelation (which I really rate) and Meade 4000 plossls, all of which were much better than the original two. The Hyperions are a quantum leap on from them imho :(

hyperion make their own 'barlow' specifically designed to work with their eyepieces inc. the zoom

If you are going to get the 32mm panaview...the 36 aspheric wont get much use...better to get the 31mm aspheric if you're sticking to hyperion

I do have a 2x barlow but don't use it now as I like to use the FTRs instead. The two FTRs are cheaper than a decent barlow too :D

Out of the 31mm or 36mm Aspherics I spent ages looking at pics of M45 on http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm comparing the view. Obviously the view through the telescope won't be as colourful but I think I prefer the wider view with the 36mm. Have a see what you think.

Whichever eyepieces you decide to go for I hope you enjoy the views :icon_scratch:

Archived