Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD Specs, What to look for?

Mav359

Hi guys

i'm looking to invest in a CCD, what specs should i be looking at? Is MP more important then chip size, or is readout noise the place to start?

Having read Steve's book (i feel like i've been schooled by him) i understand the pro's and cons for Colour/Mono but not being a camera person i don't know where to start.

Originally i was looking at the Atik 383L but now there is a 428ex which is £90 cheaper, smarter but am i just getting more valie for money by sticking with the 383L.....

cheers guys

:(

"What to look for?" It depends...

It depends on a lot of things:

- your average sky conditions, i.e.: arcsec/pixel sky quality

- the telescope or camera lenses you plan to use w/ the camera

- whether you want the speed of a one shot color camera or the better control/sensitivity of a mono camera

- how good your mount tracking is, how good your guiding is, how good your polar alignment is

- what targets you plan to shoot

- cost

- one camera, as is the case with one telescope, is quite probably not good for all targets

Once you've quantified a few of the above you're ready to make an educated guess, just remember that goals in astro-imaging change just like goals in life.

I've looked at ATIK cameras and decided the 428Ex is the best match for my current goals:

- my sky conditions normally average about 1-2 arcsec/pixel resolution

- my C8 Edge HD w/ a 0.5x reducer and my SkyWatcher 80ED w/ a 0.75x reducer give me arcsec/pixel resolution in this range.

- a 2/3 chip size allows me to use 1-1/4" filters which are considerably less expensive than larger ones

- a 2/3 chip size allows me to use reducers down to 0.33x for lower focal ratios and shorter exposures,

reducing the frustration of not having perfect tracking, guiding and/or polar alignment, and providing more subs between batches of clouds coming over the mountains, i.e.: making the best of limited imaging opportunities!

- I have an old C11 I'd like to convert to Hyperstar, the 428Ex format is ideal

- the camera has a Sony sensor which I like for low dark current and low read noise

- the Sony ICX674 chip has the widest QE response of any chip currently on the market

- the camera has regulated cooling, i.e.: set point cooling. I have a QHY8 which doesn't and it is a bit of pain...

- the camera does not have a mechanical shutter, i.e.: no moving parts. I had problems with a QHY9C shutter!

- a slight negative is the small pixel size and associated well depth BUT I can live with this

- the cost is reasonable

- ATIK appears to have a good service reputation

I probably could think of more items but this is a start...

bwa

Excellent post Bwana :icon_scratch:

With any luck I shall be in a position to post some results from the new Atik 428 in the not too distant future. It certainly looks very capable on paper.

I have a QHY8 and a SXV H9 camera at the moment. Having very light polluted skies, I dont think I would buy another colour camera again. I really only get decent results from the colour camera when in a dark sky. Its not impossible, just trickier.

Ive been talking with Bernard as well, right now the QHY10 is the pole sitter

I've owned both a QHY8 and QHY9C. I loved the almost total lack of noise off the Sony chip in the QHY8 BUT it did not have regulated temperature control; bummer! The Kodak chip in the QHY9C was not nearly as clean. Also the mechanical shutter in the QHY9C gave some problems.

If I was looking for another APS-C sized chip camera I would buy a QHY10 and came very close to doing so; however, a 2/3 chip size fits my goals better at the current time...

bwa

...post some results from the new Atik 428 in the not too distant future.

I really only get decent results from the colour camera when in a dark sky. Its not impossible, just trickier.

I've placed an order for a 428Ex, filter wheel and a full suite of LRGB and narrowband filters; no idea when I'll see delivery but I'm hoping for the end of January?

Misty Valley Ranch Observatory is 150km from any significant light pollution so it should perform pretty nicely (if it lives up to the published specs)...

I look forward to any images off your 428Ex.

bwa

Archived