NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron X-Cel LX

I currently have a BST Explorer 5mm eyepiece and a Celestron X-Cel 8mm eyepiece. They're both suiting me fine, but I've been thinking about upgrading them to something a bit higher quality. Would getting a 5mm and a 7mm or 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX be worth the expense or would I be better keeping what I have? Or are there any other eyepieces in the X-Cel LX price range that I should consider instead?

These are for use in a Skywatcher 10" Dobsonian.

The X-Cel LX is certainly a step up from the basic... as you will get a 60deg FOV the 7mm will cover the same as your 8mm does at 55 deg. albeit a better view

As you have a 3x barlow... I would consider the 18mm LX

The X-Cel LX is certainly a step up from the basic... as you will get a 60deg FOV the 7mm will cover the same as your 8mm does at 55 deg. albeit a better view

As you have a 3x barlow... I would consider the 18mm LX

Would an 18mm and a 3x barlow be a better combination than a 7mm eyepiece then?

Would an 18mm and a 3x barlow be a better combination than a 7mm eyepiece then?

It would need to be a really good quality barlow which probably will cost as much as another X-Cel LX :)

Barlows tend to increase eye relief as well and the X-Cell LX's already have 16mm of that. Personally I'd go for a 2nd X-Cell LX.

While the x-cell lx are good eyepiece, and have first rate comments on here, whether they would be a good upgrade from a BST i'm not too sure - very similar types with the celestron having the 'edge'. You may well be a bit disappointed as the view could be very similar to what you already have. You then get on the slippery path of seeking that extra bit of quality at ever increasing cost!

andrew

I had a X-Cel LX 18mm and a Ultima LX 17mm on trial for a couple of weeks and in my opinion the Ultima won hands down. I used them on my CPC 9.25

My local Celestron dealer in Dublin is selling the Ultima LX at €95 (euro). I think I be calling down to see him before his sale ends this month, thinking of going for the 8mm version so as to ready for Saturn :)

I currently have a BST Explorer 5mm eyepiece and a Celestron X-Cel 8mm eyepiece. They're both suiting me fine, but I've been thinking about upgrading them to something a bit higher quality. Would getting a 5mm and a 7mm or 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX be worth the expense or would I be better keeping what I have? Or are there any other eyepieces in the X-Cel LX price range that I should consider instead?

These are for use in a Skywatcher 10" Dobsonian.

I'm curious to know what made you think of getting something else for the 5 mm BST. Did it not do too well in the F5 ? I ask because I returned a 6mm TMB and went for a 5mm BST for the odd occasion that i might get good enough seeing to allow the 250 mag. If it doesnt work I'll use it in my 6" Newt for 150 mag.

Bart

My local Celestron dealer in Dublin is selling the Ultima LX at €95 (euro). I think I be calling down to see him before his sale ends this month, thinking of going for the 8mm version so as to ready for Saturn :(

Ah well should have got the finger out earlier, the sale on the Ultima's has ended. My own blinkin' fault :o

I'm curious to know what made you think of getting something else for the 5 mm BST. Did it not do too well in the F5 ? I ask because I returned a 6mm TMB and went for a 5mm BST for the odd occasion that i might get good enough seeing to allow the 250 mag. If it doesnt work I'll use it in my 6" Newt for 150 mag.

Bart

It's purely because I want an upgrade because I do a lot of high power lunar / planetary observing. The BST was pretty good in the f/5 scope, especially considering its price.

Archived