NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modded EQ5 mount question..

Quatermass

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply bringing me upto speed, I've read the brilliant link you've put up, very impressed both with how straight forward the mod is to the hand controller and how clear the instructions are, even I would feel confident doing this mod :o You say that you've done this mod to your EQ3 already, had the chance to put it to the test yet? I am seriously tempted by this especially as when I bought the mount it came with dual axis drives but the Dec motor doesn't seem to work but might be a simple fix, if so this could be very cheap indeed if I can get my head around the computer software root! :( I'm going to do a bit of research into how much it would cost for a stand alone guider which would probably make it simple for me but sounds like it might bring the price up. Be sure to let me know how you get on with your improved setup :p

Kind Regards

Chris

p.s. The cheapest stand alone autoguider I can find is the synguider by Skywatcher - 218 pounds which I think is brilliant for what it does, however by the time you've added a guide scope and the st4 mods to the cost and other bits and bobs that you need it will be getting on for the price of an HEQ5, hhmmm which idea would be more tempting if I could get hold of the money :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply bringing me upto speed, I've read the brilliant link you've put up, very impressed both with how straight forward the mod is to the hand controller and how clear the instructions are, even I would feel confident doing this mod :o You say that you've done this mod to your EQ3 already, had the chance to put it to the test yet? I am seriously tempted by this especially as when I bought the mount it came with dual axis drives but the Dec motor doesn't seem to work but might be a simple fix, if so this could be very cheap indeed if I can get my head around the computer software root! :( I'm going to do a bit of research into how much it would cost for a stand alone guider which would probably make it simple for me but sounds like it might bring the price up. Be sure to let me know how you get on with your improved setup :p

Kind Regards

Chris

p.s. The cheapest stand alone autoguider I can find is the synguider by Skywatcher - 218 pounds which I think is brilliant for what it does, however by the time you've added a guide scope and the st4 mods to the cost and other bits and bobs that you need it will be getting on for the price of an HEQ5, hhmmm which idea would be more tempting if I could get hold of the money :D

Hi Chris, yes its all up and running, see here.... :D

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/169572-woohoo-guiding-eq3-2-a.html

It took me ages to get my head around the software / hardware bit even to the point that I gave up on the idea for about 6 months but it really is simple. If you don't have a laptop you could do what I do and use a PC. It just means you have to run cables outside to your mount/guide cam. With USB there is a average maximum length of 5 meters before the signal breaks down. But they do such a thing to get over this problem called an "active USB cable" which boost the signal so you can run a much longer cable to the cam. This is not ideal but its cheap, very cheap! Obviously if you have got a laptop then your laughing. Get yourself a CCD webcam like I have (logitech quickcam pro 3000/4000) go very cheap on ebay I got mine for around a fiver. Then all you need is the guide software. I use and many others do as well PHD downloaded for free from starklabs website. Its very very simple to use. PHD stands for "push here dummy" !! lol. Most people use a USB interface to connect to the computer. I believe you need extra software called ASCOM to get the pc and mount to communicate via the guide software. This is why I used the GPINT-PT serial port interface. Its simply "plun n play" with no need for additional software. If you decide to go down the pc/laptop route (cheapest) and only have USB ports available, then check out these links.

http://www.guywebb.co.uk/SimpleGpUsb/SimpleGpUsb.pdf

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/136721-eq3-2-autoguiding-start.html

also have a good look on shoestring astros website. here is a link to tht serial adaptor i use from them.

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - GPINT-PT

HTH stan:)

(p.s, sorry quatermass for putting all this in your thread)

Also Chris, to address the question of "what will give best results for my money, standalone guider vs HEQ5" - Well even if you could afford the HEQ5 mount could you afford to get the guiding equipment for it on top of that...? As a matter of opinion and not talking from experience here, I think your EQ5 (GUIDED) correctly balanced with your Antares scope and a small guide scope would be just as if not more capable than the HEQ5 (UNGUIDED) if that makes sense. You won't gain much by just getting the HEQ5 alone, your still looking at relatively short exposures without guiding. HOWEVER - the HEQ5 is obviously the better more accurate mount and will future proof the hobby when you eventualy have the money to guide with it and it has a bigger load cappacity etc etc, Hope that makes sense:icon_scratch:... Stan :(

Hmmm.....

F70DB21AC88D48E69C5AF2C1367FAB95.jpg

Sorry for going off topic:o

Is that for real or photoshopped? The only reason I ask is I'd be interested to know how solid the scope was on a caravan floor?

Archived