NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular tripods

Hi I posted this in EMS forum also but was hoping to get as comprehensive a response as possible.

As you may know I am new to this. I was wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions regarding a good sturdy tripod for use with my celestron skymaster 15x70 binoculars?

Currently I am using a generic telescopic tripod intended for use with a digital camera. Whilst it is nice and light the problem I have is that if I slightly knock the tripod whilst using the binoculars it wobbles all over the place and takes time to settle before I can start viewing again.

Any suggestions on a more sturdy model that would make observing a little easier would be gratefully received :p

Thanks

Felix

Hi Felix,

I'm new tro this too, and have the same bins as you. I just ordered this tripod from FLO:

First Light Optics - Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod

It looks to be sturdy enough for the 15x70 bins, and I will certainly update here when I recieve it and try it out. I tried a light camera tripod too and it was hopeless :p

Hi

I have the same tripod that I use for bins and spotter / grab'n'go scopes including Vixen 10x70 bins and a range of 60-80mm scopes (although the tripod can accept up to 100mm). This tripod was given a 'highly recommended' award by Sky At Night magazine when they tested it a few years back and it is a good all-round piece of kit as SGL sigs will testify.

HTH!

You may also like to consider a parallelogram mount, there are designs for these to make your self, or purchase from such as Orion Telescope & Binoculars, they do have advantages over a standard tripod mount and are about as good as it gets for Astronomical work, the only draw back, as you would expect, they can be on the expensive side :)

Hi Felix,

I'm new tro this too, and have the same bins as you. I just ordered this tripod from FLO:

First Light Optics - Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod

It looks to be sturdy enough for the 15x70 bins, and I will certainly update here when I recieve it and try it out. I tried a light camera tripod too and it was hopeless :)

I recently bought the Horizon from FLO for my celestron 15x70 binocular.

An excellent mount, far more sturdy and easier to use than my previous mount.

Trick is to set the tension you prefer for hz and vt movement then just use the locking screws to fix the head position (you'll understand when you have a play with it).

I have the Horizon 8115 for my 15x70 binoculars and the mount is for sure sturdy enough. The only nuisance I have found is that it requires quite a lot of pressure to move it in the azimuthal plane. I know there is a tension control knob for this but even though I unscrew it almost fully it is still too heavy to move in my opinion. But maybe there is just something I didn't understand about it..

I've been using my 15 x 70's on a Red Snapper RS283 (Tripods and tripod heads from Redsnapper . Camera tripods from a leading manufacturer) with a Triton Panhead Ballhead Action Grip (Telescope-Service Tripods and Pedestals) with no wobbles, just nice steady views for over a year now!

Just thought i'd add another make to your choices!:)

Doc

Archived