Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope Rings

centroid

I've noticed that the subject of 'scope rings' often comes up on astro forums, when the need to 'mount' a guide-scope arises.

So, I thought I'd share my solution with you.

I'd noticed that many of the commercial offerings were quite expensive, sometimes being £100+, so I looked at other alternatives.

I found that the 'rings' supplied with Skywatcher telescopes, were available as separate items. They are of course designed to fit 'snuggly' around the OTA, holding it firmly in place. However, I considered that using a ring of a larger diameter than my guide-scope, I could then modify this to become an adjustable guide-scope ring.

At the time, my guide-scope was a Skywatcher ST80, so I bought a pair of 102mm ID Skywatcher rings (£17 from Rother Valley Optics), drilled and 'tapped' them for M6 at 120 degree spacing.

Bought a short length of M6 s/steel studding to make the adjusters, some plastic Ball Knobs (M6 internal thread) from RS Components (Part No.286-9621), for the outer ends, and put some plastic caps over the inner ends to protect the scope. Result = 1 pair of scope rings for around £22.

In my case, the rings are bolted to a piece of flat steel, which in turn is attached to two brackets, one at each end of the OTA.

Although, my 'scope rings' were originally made to accomodate the ST80, fortunatley, there was still enough room for adjustment when the scope was replaced with a Skywatcher ED80, which uses the same OTA as the ED100.

BTW, if you are wondering what's on the end of the ED80, its a Thousand Oaks solar filter.

Dave

post-13389-133877328437_thumb.jpg

Dave

What are the plastic caps from?

They are actually made from a soft vynyl type plastic, and are the sort of things found on the ends optical fibre lead connectors, 'whip' aerials etc, etc.

They come in all sorts of sizes, and I've seen them up to several inches internal diameter, on telecoms cables.

I just happened to have a few of the smaller variety laying around in my 'junk box'.

I haven't looked, but I guess that they would be readily available from somewhere like RS Components.

Dave

The

Archived