Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extending SW Auto-Focuser Cable.

Chris M48

Something like Grunthos but I think that might be a standard size BT type RJ11 which won't fit the SW Auto focuser. I think it might be the Irish/USA type connection I'm after. what the heck for £2.15 I'm gonna find out via ebay. BTW the focuser is a great piece of kit. Cheers mate.

Thanks for your help guys. Everyone's right (except me probably). Apparently it's a RJ10 telephone extension cable I'm after and they're available on ebay in various lengths including 6.4m & 10m for about £2.89.

Update: Got the 6.4m cable with RJ10 plugs from Ebay and works a treat. BUT, the curly cable actually only comfortably extends to 3 or 4 metres. SO, I used an RJ11 coupler and a slither of cardboard (from the back of a notepad) to pack it out and attached the 6.4m cable to one side and the original cable to the other achieving the 5m I was looking for. Get another coupler and use flat cable to obtain even longer lengths.

Bottom line is that the SW Auto-focuser is a brilliant piece of kit extendable to any length you like. Downside is you can't focus manually once fitted.

Downside is you can't focus manually once fitted.

Darn! I thought you could. :(

I used to have this issue with a JMI motofucus on my 6SE (ended up not using the scope so much therefore went back to manual).

That seems to be the trouble with direct connected add-on motors. That's why, when I made my own, I used belt coupling. I had the same trouble with the Celestron motor drive on my first scope/mount for moving the mount.

Update: Got the 6.4m cable with RJ10 plugs from Ebay and works a treat. BUT, the curly cable actually only comfortably extends to 3 or 4 metres.

Which if you read the small print is correct. 6.4m is the length of the uncoiled cable.

Downside is you can't focus manually once fitted.

But then why would you want to manual focus when you've just purchased an electronic device to overcome the issues manual focusing can induce.... sorts of defeats the object of the exercise really ??

When using eyepieces I like to get the scope roughly focussed at the scope which is easier with the focus knobs. Fine focus for observing is easily achieved using the Crayford fine focussing knob. For fine focussing for imaging I use the electric focuser. It's for imaging that the ultra fine control of the electric focuser really comes into it's own :(

Hi

If you are unable to manually override the electric focuser to get a rough focus, how long does the motor take to drive the focuser from fully out to fully in?

Also how long do the batteries last?

Hopefully be getting one of these soon, I'm fed up of the post focussing wobbles!

JM1311

Hi

If you are unable to manually override the electric focuser to get a rough focus, how long does the motor take to drive the focuser from fully out to fully in?

Also how long do the batteries last?

Hopefully be getting one of these soon, I'm fed up of the post focussing wobbles!

JM1311

Never timed it, but it's not long, and the speed is adjustable so you can slow the speed down as you near focus. As for batteries, the handset still has the original after 6 months, but then I also use the HitecAstro DC focuser when imaging First Light Optics - HitecAstro DC Focus

Archived