cant see anything through new scope sw200p

Hi

I have bought a brand new skywatcher 200p newtonion telescope with a eq5 mount/tripod.

I have set it up for the first time tonight and all i get when i look at jupitor is a white object with the cross and circle from the inside of my telescope but no viewable image, any help would be great, why iam i not seeing anything in the night sky except for the black cross and black circle in the middle of it.

please any advice!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do have an eyepiece in the focuser? (Forgive me but it's better to ask!)

Then you need to focus.

Start with the lowest power eyepiece, the one with the highest number on it for focal length. Rack the focuser right in then slowly bring it out. The disk of light should get smaller and smaller till you have a tiny disk in focus.

Olly

When looking at Jupiter you should see a sharp round disk a few mm accross..

Point the scope at the pole star..which does not move and focus so that it becomes a small point of light....then you are in focus...

Good luck..

You should not be able to see the spide vanes at all..

Mark

You should see round clear, sharp object, a tiny slightly flattened disk with 2 clear bands running across it and up to 4 moons strung out, some on either side sometimes. What you are seeing is the secondary mirror supports (called a spider) against an un-focussed Jupiter or bright star.

OK so it muct be out of focus. Using the two knobs either side of the eyepiece start with the eyepiece as far in as it will go and then gradually bring the eyepiece out by turning the focus knobs. At some point you should see the sharp disk of the planet if the scope is lined up correctly on Jupiter..

Mark

nope not answer, all i have is the threaded section,that threads into the focuser tube and has 2 srews for clamping, then inserted 1.25 adaptor into that.

You sure its and adapter and not a barlow lens ?

The scope has a 2" focuser, into this there is normally a reducer which comprises of a ring with a 1.25" tube that sits proud of the ring by about an inch (so side on it looks like a top hat). This too has two screws for securing the eyepiece. Drop the 25mm eyepiece into this adapter and view a bright star whilst turning the focus wheels to move the focuser from all the way in to all the way out

post-23388-133877710265_thumb.jpg

i have the 2 inch hole on top of focuser, then a ring with 2 screws,then 2inch to 1.25 adaptor fits into that, then eyepiece into 2 - 1.25 adaptor (ie like a top hat)

Can you change your profile to state where about's you live - it may be that someone lives just around the corner and can pop along to see what's happening.

Does your set up look like the image in my post above ? If so then dropping an eyepiece into that set up should give you an image within the range of the focuser limits

Archived