Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader hyperion zoom

blind pew

I received a startravel 80 with a skywatcher zoom for xmas.It came with 4 other EPs but the zoom is the one I like best It is my first proper scope and I love it.My question is would a baader hyperion zoom be much better than the skywatcher zoom.I ask because in other posts it has been said that you need better lens in short scopes to get the best results.Would I see a big improvement or just a small one or any improvement at all.Thanks in advance.

The Hyperion zoom is said to be much better than a standard Skywatcher 8-24mm. However, since your scope is a ST80, a F5 rich field achromat, it will be questionable whether you will see any benefit using a Hyperion. The scope itself has a lot of aberration which the eyepiece cannot correct. Chromatic aberration will be a problem at higher magnification.

May be you should consider the Hyperion when you upgrade the scope. If your goal is planets at higher magnification, you can get a f11 system such as Skymax 102 or Vixen A80MF for the same amount of money as a Hyperion zoom. They will be better corrected for chromatic aberration and more forgiving on eyepiece.

How well do you reckon the Hyperion zoom will be with the Evostar 80 ED DS Pro scope? Would it be noticeably better than the SW zoom? I don't have a zoom ATM and only the 2" eyepiece supplied with the scope.

I would say that the Baader Zoom would be better but as Keith says it will not remove problems created by the actual scope. It would reduce problems caused by the present zoom lens.

The ST 80 is a short focal length achro and will have CA in the image and some SA as well. These are caused by the main objective and the eyepiece cannot correct for them.

As you seem pleased with the present zoom then really cannot see much reason to replace it at this time.

Play around with the set up you have for a while and see how you feel in 3 months time. By then you may have decided that a better eyepiece is the best option or that a bigger scope is prefered.

Thanks for the replies.I am quite happy with what I can see with my scope but I would like a sharper image if that makes any sense.Would I achieve that by keeping my EPs and buying a scope like Gina has although I think it might be too heavy for my tripod.

The Baader is the better zoom of the two - but its three times the price allmost of the Skywatcher zoom. In a SaN review 18 months ago the SW came last and the Baader second out of 6 zooms. But the SW is good value for money even if two or three steps down from the Baader in quality :D

Archived