Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion question

tony

ok,so been looking at upgrading my eyepieces, i have a 2" 28mm that came with the ed80apo and i have old 10mm and 20mm plossls from my old scope.

i've been looking at these from flo

First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion 68 degree eyepiece

with the addition of these

First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Finetuning Ring

would it not be better to get,and cheaper, for arguments sake lets say the 13mm, with the ring(s) and possibly the 2" filter making a combination of 4 eyepieces in one rather than buying 2 or 3 different eyepieces?

dont know if anyone uses these. been looking around the forum but there are so many different ones and obviously people have different opinions on each one/make.

and merry xmas to all.

Buy your "first choice" Hyperion plus the extension tubes - And Experiment? I think it fair to say (it's my own subjective feeling to) that the view is inevitably going to be "better" though the equivalent "pukka" (Hyperion) eyepiece, of equivalent focal length - Without extension tubes.

I think it a good strategy to buy one of the longer [smaller, lighter] focal lengths (13/17mm) or you may find an already fairly big eyepiece becomes positively "monolithic". Then there is the issue of whether you really want to part "dismantle" eyepieces in the field. Opinions vary. Doing this, in the light, under clean conditions, before you venture outside, might be a reasonable first compromise. :D

Using the FTRs is certainly cheaper, as I had been thinking of buying the 10mm Hyperion but the FTRs mean I don't need to. I think they're a good idea and I'll be using them more often in future. They also mean I've got more room in my EP case for a 36mm Aspheric (maybe next year eh Santa?) :D

I think I will be going for the zoom - funds won't stretch to a collection of several fixed Hyperion EPs and I figure that the Hyperion zoom is likely to be better than a collection of cheaper EPs. Take up less room and be more convenient.

I wish everyone a very

Happy Christmas

I think I will be going for the zoom - funds won't stretch to a collection of several fixed Hyperion EPs and I figure that the Hyperion zoom is likely to be better than a collection of cheaper EPs. Take up less room and be more convenient.

I wish everyone a very

Happy Christmas

:D now theres a thought.

:icon_scratch:hmmmmmmm........ either way i need to see what funds are like after crimbo, i'm not in a position to compare the fixed over zoom, but as you say they will be better than a cheaper collection, and better quality than the ones i have now.

Archived