Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler

Charon

Whilst drooling over my new babies (Naglers 17+22mm) I noticed that they have both been made in Taiwan:eek: How long has this been going on for!! So much for TeleVue=made in the USA hmmmm. But before you ask they are staying with me:D

Tele Vue have been geting eyepieces made in Taiwan for some time now. All my Ethos's are made there as are my 20mm and 31mm Naglers. I think the Type 6 Naglers and the plossls are made in Japan. Only the prototype Naglers back in the 1970's were made in the USA.

What matters with Tele Vue are the tight specifications that they set and the 100% quality control / testing that is undertaken. They say the price of these things is set by the amount they reject before they ever reach the market.

I believe their refractor optics are made in the East as well but the scopes are assembled and tested in the USA.

Whilst drooling over my new babies (Naglers 17+22mm) I noticed that they have both been made in Taiwan:eek: How long has this been going on for!! So much for TeleVue=made in the USA hmmmm. But before you ask they are staying with me:D

I work in Taiwan about once per year. Don't worry about QA there - they will be much better quality than if they were made in the US or here. Same goes for proper quality production in China.

Days of China/Taiwan/Korea = shoddy are well past. They can make large production run stuff better than us by and large.

You woud be amazed how modern their facilities are.

Steve

I wonder how they can keep their design from being cloned... Or actually it doesn't matter because the clone would cost pretty much the same?

Explore Scientific, William Optics, Skywatcher and Meade all offer 82 degree eyepieces now and I'll bet their optical designs are not far away from the Naglers :)

You are right though, it does need good workmanship, quality materials and a high degree of precision to make ultra-wide angle eyepieces that perform well in fast scopes. They are never going to be giving them away !.

Archived