NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More moon colour musings

geppetto

Been playing again :police:

This shot is a crop from one of my zoomed in images destined to be a part of last nights mosaic.

I picked out a small area in Mare Serenittatus and did the colour boost technique.

What looks predominantly blue in my zoomed out colour image posted elsewhere, is in fact

a mix of subtle colours.

Interesting to see on this the relationship of colour to the subtle changes in greys on a

normal monochrome shot.

Plan now is to take a series of shots over say a week (weather permitting) to see if there

is any significant change in the actual colours shown as the lighting changes with the moons phase.

:D

col2.jpg

Another interesting thing about the lunar surface are the "Highlands" which are called "Terrae" or "Earth".

These highland areas can be up to 5km high due to no erosion, also they are very jagged and steep. The low gravity of the moon allows the mountains to be very tall.

Most of these highlands are composed of a mineral called plagioclase feldspar, which is rich in calcium and aluminium. There is also pleanty of olivine (Silicate containing iron). and pyroxene (A silicate rich in magnesium.)

I'll apologise now if i'm getting a bit too geeky...i've just finished my "Planetary Geology" module :police:

Just wondering if the base colour of your images is showing up the mineral rich surface of the moon??

Archived