Eyepiece conundrum

Hi all,

There is an outside chance my wonderful wife is getting me a new scope for christmas.

Potentially it could be a fast f4 newt and reading warthogs guide to eyepieces suggests I will need higher than average quality ep's.

The wife will not let on completely so can somebody recommend a range of eps that do not cost the earth as the cost of the scope could be high.

Explaining to the uninitiated that I need to spend a further £200 on a few ep's wont be easy so the cost must be reasonably low without buying trash

As always many thanks in advance for your sage advice :)

Id say TV too but if its value for money your after id say

GSO Astronomy eyepieces, Antares plossl and kellner eyepieces

TMB Planetary Eyepieces by TMB Optical and Burgess Optical

or BST 1.25" Eyepieces

If you want the best expect to pay a lot but to be honest I would get used to the scope first, get an idea of what eyepieces you might want just using the supplied with ep's and then look to buy in the new year (also it looks better if the cost is spread :) )

There are some (and myself at one point) that will argue you don't need to buy expensive Televue eye pieces and that there are alternatives out there much cheaper but thats all OK if you only want to look at whats directly in the center of view. If you have an F/4 offering huge window on the sky surely you want to make the best of it. Doing it on the cheap will soon having you wish you hadn't bothered.

surely you want to make the best of it.

you are absolutely right in this respect but I do have to be practical in our current financial climate

is it a necessity to have 6-7 element extra-flat field ep's or will TeleVue plossl ep's still offer a flat view?

As far as I am aware the entire TV range is tested down to F/4 and this is the reason why they are so well respected amongst astronomers. Most beginners go for Newts for there aperture over cost appeal but over look the fact that Newts are less forgiving on EP's. This is where Televue make the best of what you have. Even fast newts can give good performance using TV's and the TV plossls allow you to have the benefits of TV's legendary optics in a more affordable package.

All the Tele Vue eyepieces are designed to work well down to F/4. With regard to the TV Plossls they are very good but the GSO ones are probably a match for them on most counts and less expensive as well. TV's testing is more comprehensive though - 100% are tested, which is why they cost more of course.

If your budget forces you to stay with standard field eyepieces like plossls that's not a bad thing. To go widefield with an F/4 newtonian you will need to put a coma corrector on your shopping list too.

Do budget for some good collimation tools as well - you will need them.

you need to find eyepieces that suit your 'scope.. & more importantly... YOUR eyes

if possible...find a local observing group & tag along...maybe try their eyepieces in your 'scope to see what works for you

just hope santa didn't mistake 'sky-watcher' as meaning you need new thick socks...lol

Archived