Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nostalgia aint like it used to be .....

John

For those of a certain age this link might bring back some memories !.

It's a collection of scans of old scope adverts from the 1950's to the mid 1980's. I can remember drooling over some of these myself when I subscribed to the American magazine "Astronomy" in the early 1980's. It's interesting to compare the prices and specs - I think we are somewhat spoilt for choice and value today :police:

www.astrosurf.com/re/adds.html

John

Yes I remember it well John. The dreaming and the drooling, the hoping and the praying. Nothing ever came of it.

They say everything comes to those who wait. All I can say is, I had to wait an awful long time, but it came good in the end.

Ron. :police:

Thanks for that John. Great stuff,made my evening!

I love the Unitron 4" Anti-tank Gun but my real favorite would have to be a Jaegers Elbow Telescope! Every home should have at least one! :D Two would be better (one for each arm) but at $18.50 each it might push the budget a bit. :police:

Cheers

CW

Great link.

The early 80's stuff brings back good memories. Especially the folded Unitron refractor thingy. I also remember the Coulter adds that included a 29" Dobsonian !!!!

My 1st astro mag was 'Astronomy' November 1982, bought in the Sauchihall Street Centre, Glasgow. Also got the Kiss album(none of that cd carp) double platinum on the same day......................ahhhh the memories.

Andy.

I like the early Edmund Scientific ones best - rather like the ads you used to find in the back pages of the sunday papers, "Gain Strength through the Secret of Dynamic Tension - I can show you how !" - that sort of thing :D

The adverts all seem a bit too slick and polished these days :police:

John

Do you remember Spock(Leonard Nimoy) advertising Celestron C-8's on the back of the astronomy mag??

My eyes always wandered to his ears, to check that they weren't pointy.

Andy.

Do you remember Spock(Leonard Nimoy) advertising Celestron C-8's on the back of the astronomy mag??

My eyes always wandered to his ears, to check that they weren't pointy.

Andy.

I'm suprised that they resisted the temptation to say "The logical choice ...buy a Celestron C8, live long and prosper" !. I guess Gene Roddenberry would have had something to say .....

John

Archived