Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42

eid

This is the first picture I've taken with my new dslr (1100d unmodded) and my first DSO too.

I did it on a C9.25 with 6.3 FR and an Astronomic clip filter for LPR (which I'm really impressed with). Mount is an old CG-5 and was unguided. I think I was slightly out of focus as it came out a bit fuzzy; I had to focus using the cameras screen.

I think maybe I over processed it too, though I quite like the result. I don't really know how to use Lightroom yet, though it seems pretty idiot proof.

Any advice on improvements is very welcome.

post-30821-133877707384_thumb.jpg

A very nice first DSO it is too. Get yourself a Bahtinov mask to use with your scope as it really does aid in focusing and is simple to use, here's a link to how they are used, they are readily available on ebay I think, just make sure to get the right one for your scope.

Bahtinov Mask

All in all a great first go.

Can you provide length and number of subs, whether they are stacked etc as this info is of great help to those advising you.

Live view zoom is the button at the top right (when in live view of course). You can zoom in two levels.

Yes, I was playing around with it last night, but I think that may have been after doing M42.

It'll take me a while to get used to the cameras functions. It doesn't help that I have no lenses for it, so can't practice when it's not on the scope.

I would have left the stars, which have been a little too squared - personal preference though!

I wasn't really taking any notice of the stars to be honest; I was just trying to get the nebula to look nice. The unprocessed original was very grainy so I just wanted to make something half decent. I'll attach it at the end.

I'm not sure how it happened, but you're right, they are a bit square. Once I get a bit of experience with the camera itself, I'll start reading up on processing techniques.

Bahtinov Mask

All in all a great first go.

Can you provide length and number of subs, whether they are stacked etc as this info is of great help to those advising you.

I have been considering getting a mask, or making one even. It would make things a lot easier.

The subs were all ISO 800 and were a mixture of 16, 20, and 26 seconds long. There were about 10 of them used. No darks, flats etc.

Regarding the speckling on the original stack, is that nebular? If so, would more subs/length fill that out, make it more solid? I would have liked to process it in a way that kept some of that detail.

Thanks all for your comments and help; much appreciated.

eid

post-30821-133877707489_thumb.jpg

Thanks Anweniel,

I am quite pleased with it. I was pretty excited (and surprised) when I saw the nebula show up on my camera screen after my first 20 sec shot. And Lightroom is just incredible at sharpening things up.

I'm just impatient now to learn and improve :)

eid

Archived