NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

permanently mounted eq6 question

Neo_uk

Hi,

i have recently permanently mounted my eq6 in the obs and the question is from setting the mount up and doing a 3 star alignment when i park the scope at the end of a viewing/imaging session i have to park the scope in a horizontal position so when i start up the mount at the beginning of the next session do i have to re do the star alignment again or just switch on and away we go ? im just so used to lumping everything in and out and having to set up every time im a bit confused now everything is set up lol.

i have one more question too regarding how to enter your coordinates i.e according to google my position is

Latitude = 53, Longitude = -1.3

Lat = 53 degrees, 5.8 minutes North

Long = 1 degrees, 22 minutes West

so how would this read on the eq6 hand set the reason i ask is i don't think i've entered them right because my goto isn't going to correctly .

Many thanks Chris

Just altered them to be a little less specific!

Once you get your polar alignment near perfect, you will be able to use minimal alignment. My EQ6 is on a pier, and when I do the first goto it gets very close to the target, by doing a one star alignment it will put the target dead centre every time, and that on a small chip camera at 1000mm fl.

The thing to spend time on then is getting your polar alignment right. You should be able to keep a star centred in a 10mm crosshair eyepiece for a good few hours when it is right.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for the replies ! it has been most helpful i will have to get my head around this drift alignment process as i understand its one of the best ways to get a more precise alignment.

king regards chris.

Archived