Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prominence images from this weekend

Cschur

Hi all,

The weather here in Arizona was clear this weekend, first time in weeks of a prolonged 2 day clear spell. I present to you these images, taken with our new Lunt LS100, and FINALLY a decent barlow, the televue 2.5x power mate. Seeing was aveage. Time to retire the old and not so good coronado 2x...

post-29582-133877705044_thumb.jpg

post-29582-133877705052_thumb.jpg

post-29582-133877705058_thumb.jpg

post-29582-133877705067_thumb.jpg

No Chris, if it only gets up to around 13 degrees for me at noon, I dread to think what the north of Scotland is like (just looked it up on Stellarium and the sun is only 7 degrees at noon, I should stop complaining!). For me the sun is sitting annoyingly just above the fence and in the neighbours small tree. I need to travel to get a better horizon. I need to take a photograph so I can remember what this time of year is like and appreciate summer more.

Alexandra

I wish Chris......Alexandra has said it for me. I maybe have about an hour in the afternoon when the sun may be accessible without being hidden behind anything, PROVIDING there are no clouds, it's not snowing or the wind isn't blowing me off my feet....

I wish Chris......Alexandra has said it for me. I maybe have about an hour in the afternoon when the sun may be accessible without being hidden behind anything, PROVIDING there are no clouds, it's not snowing or the wind isn't blowing me off my feet....

sounds very familiar lol

13 degrees? OH My. WEll, winter is always a challenge to do any type of astronomy for sure. Im in the mountains at either 5150 or 7000 feet elevation, and the days and nights are ripping cold in winter. I yearn for those longer spring days! One thought, at such a low elevation, you must have to deal with differential refraction on your solar images. For Halpha, this is no concern, but white light may shows red and green fringes on top and bottom.

Archived