Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you really need a pier ?

Catanonia

Piers ? A pain in the butt, can't move them and pernament. Do you really need them for an observatory ?

Well here are my views / experiences

No not really. What does a peir do for the amatuer ? Stop them having to polar align all the time, unless you are really into serious astrophotography and perfect vibration effects need to be totally eliminated and I have never suffered from this on flags.

Well for 2 years I have used a tripod in my observatory on concrete flags. All I have done is drill some indents into the flags with a 30mm drill bit where the tripod legs go and then put the tripod in place and aligned.

Never had a problem

The only thing I can see a pier doing is helping with the OTA hitting the legs of the tripod, but you are never going to avoid the flip unless you have a really short OTA.

My views only, but would seriously recommend beginners on thinking if they really need a pernament pier.

Nothing like experience over hearsay? But I do agree - That the "non-pier" has advantages in many cases. Though, actually, I compromised - By jacking up my Skywatcher Wheelie Pier onto three (3-high) concrete brick plinths. :(

Certainly at the level of VIDEO astronomy, I can happily track/stack images, with that setup. The 3x2' flags under the observatory were laid by an experienced (big strong lad!) landscape gardener mate into concrete though. In truth, if I REALLY "jump up and down", then yes, the image trembles. But it is steady enough, under normal conditions. Also, once one starts to put an 8"/F4 Newt on an HEQ5, there are other effects - The pole flexes, the scope sways in the breeze etc. Not to mention a personal circumspection re. the traditional [my] "3-bolt" pier head! :)

As you say, if you drill "locating holes", it is e.g. entirely possible to reproduce (EQMod) "GoTo" from night to night! THE MAIN problem I had with my setup was the matching of (roof-top) horizons with (hard to predict) motions of an Equatorial mount. Experience shows that a 6" error in siting can make quite a difference! Armed with that knowledge, I may (get help to!) retrofit a more traditional pillar? :)

I THINK there is a slight over-obsession with this pier-sinking business. Is it a territorial, "man-thing"? LOL. <teasing> BUT, if it is a "stalling" your plans (I can no longer dig BIG holes into my Welsh hill-top, clay / limestone agglomerate!): I'd say don't reject these alternative ideas. You may be quite surprised? Good point, Catanonia! :)

If you're in an Obsy it gives you more space to move around without tripping over the tripod legs in the dark which I have doen on more than one occasion in the past, necessitating having to start polar alignment and the whole process all over again.

I have a pier in the obsy and use the tripod when I go to camp where I have a bit more space to move round it.

Carole

If you're in an Obsy it gives you more space to move around without tripping over the tripod legs in the dark which I have doen on more than one occasion in the past, necessitating having to start polar alignment and the whole process all over again.

Carole

I don't have a obsy but I've had to restart PA many times in the past for exactly this reason. Given a choice, I would definitely go the obsy, pier route. It would mean being able to get out and grab an hours worth of images whenever there was a suitable break in the clouds, without having to worry too much about knocking the tripod - which I am prone to do.

My solution is to build one of these: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/161711-homemade-freestanding-pier.html

Far more stable than a tripod and can be left out in all weathers. It should keep alignment well unless I manage to really bash into it. There is no real reason why it couldn't be "fixed" (in a temporary sort of way - if you see what I mean!) by pegging it through the feet, or grouting in some bolts on a patio?

My solution is to build one of these: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/161711-homemade-freestanding-pier.html

Far more stable than a tripod and can be left out in all weathers. It should keep alignment well unless I manage to really bash into it. There is no real reason why it couldn't be "fixed" (in a temporary sort of way - if you see what I mean!) by pegging it through the feet, or grouting in some bolts on a patio?

A great thing (Was watching your progress)! When it stops raining, going to detach the wheels (or raise the whole thing "up a bit") from my "wheelie pier"and (optionally) BOLT it down... somehow. Pending an eventual upgrade to a pier... :)

I use this First Light Optics - Skywatcher Pillar Mount Support for HEQ5 & EQ6 series mounts

The EQ6 mount is always attached, but without scope and weights. I lift it in and out of a shed and the metal feet are always jacked up at the correct height so it is level when I locate it in indents on the patio. I usually have to tweak PA in azimuth to get polaris on the closest part of the reticule circle. Then load weights and scope.

PA takes seconds and in total it takes me 10mins to set up. The mount is dry in a nearby bike shed with weights, tube rings, power, etc - BillyOh 30 Extra Wide Overlap Bike Store Mini Shed - Wooden Sheds - Garden Buildings Direct

Archived