Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield first attempt - Tips required!

Hi all

I tried some widefield last night with my 550d and 55-250 lens. I first tried Jupiter and it's moons at 250. Came out ok, even if I do say so myself. Then I had a go at Orion. Set the camera to bulb and took a few 1 minute shots. Lots of stars in the pic but also lots of yellow (I live in London but my balcony is mostly shaded). Is there anything I can do to reduce the yellow in the images? I took shorter shots and this helped but also reduced the number of stars.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

hi there,have you tried to make a home made shield for the lens to try to cut some of the light pol down? i used 3 things to help me ,even tho my light pol is not as bad as urs,get a plant pot and cut a hole in the bottom the same size as the lens i hav used a 4",6",8" they all worked great and they do work the other option is clip in light pol filter for the camera,they not cheap ,or get the 2" skywatcher light pollution filter and blue tack to the front of the lens there is a thin line around the lens on the front you can put the blue tack,i would not put it on the lens hope this helps in some way if need be i can post some pics to show you what i mean

clear skies

ps have you tried "color cast " remove in your paint program

Smaller subs with a low ISO seems to be the way to go...I am still experimenting myself, but I have found 10-20 sec subs at around 400-800 works really well. As for the LP try to keep your shots as high as possible...seems to eliminate most of the LP bleed and the LP filter seems to be something worth looking into as well. Should post up your pic would be nice to see as well...I already put my first few up on here nothing to even come close to be happy with but a good start.

Thanks all. Will post up pics tomorrow. At work at the moment and the pc tries to encript my sd card!

Haven't tried DSS. I was hoping that one nice long shot (I have an EQ1 with motor) would show me the galaxy! Well not quite but something similar. I have the nifty fifty on my Christmas list - I guess this would mean I take same length shots that come with more detail.

If we get a good night like last night over the weekend I will give it another go and uss DSS.

Shroud sounds like a good idea. The moon didn't help - very bright last night. Might just try some dark paper and wrap it round the lens.

Blooming freezing last night but I was rather excited once I'd spent a little time out there. Cant wait to get a telescope now!

Archived