Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade ETX 105EC

I don't want to put you off, but I found that if the electronics go wrong you're on your own. Meade don't seem to have any UK customer service. That's why I was so happy to get shot of my (broken) ETX 125 and buy a Celestron.

Yes Stormwatch. I had 2 ETXs 90 & 125 and both caused me grief with their bad gotos. I have changed to Celestron 8i & a 102 SLT which you can buy for approx. £245 now. Great GOTO easier to set up and to use. A better scope altogether.

Legion (whats the thinking behind the name BTW? Deicide?) if I were you I'd figure out a budget and then try to find a specific scope that suits your needs instead of just trying to pick up whatever becomes available on eBay. I'm not saying you won't get anything good off eBay, I got my scope there, but you'd be better getting something that suits your requirements. A refractor like that will be a different beast to an ETX.

PHOENIX ? NEVER HEARD OF IT. FIRST LIGHT OPTICS - CELESTRON 102SLT DISCOUNTED TO £247.50 ( NORMALLY £299.00 ) A SNIP, JUMP AT IT.

Possibly this - "Phenix Optics Co, part of the Jiangxi Optical Instruments Group"

Agree with Robin - stick with FLO or Hinds, you will get a much better deal and importantly - accessible aftersales service and advice.

Bill£ :)

I don't want to put you off, but I found that if the electronics go wrong you're on your own. Meade don't seem to have any UK customer service. That's why I was so happy to get shot of my (broken) ETX 125 and buy a Celestron.

My EXT125 went west so I sent it back to Meade (via the dealer) and it was returned in good order with a new hand controller, all within about 5 days. No problems whatsoever (except that while still under warranty the dealer charged me postage, or should I say, my ex. dealer). Meade (and yes, I was surprised) were excellent.

Gary

My EXT125 went west so I sent it back to Meade (via the dealer) and it was returned in good order with a new hand controller, all within about 5 days. No problems whatsoever (except that while still under warranty the dealer charged me postage, or should I say, my ex. dealer). Meade (and yes, I was surprised) were excellent.

Gary

Ah, yes, but that was for a new scope. If you buy one from eBay and it decides to fry itself as mine did, the customer support is non-existent. They tell you to post it back to some Meade dealer in England who will charge something like a hundred quid just to look at it. Add into that about £30 postage and then the cost of a repair and you're looking at a couple of hundred quid at least!

Archived