SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aircraft inteference

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very funny Moflaher :)

Jack in answer to your question nearly all the lines - including the one you mentioned close to 6565 are tellurics. For those that don't know what telluric lines are - they are absorption lines caused by water in the earths atmosphere. See below my spectra in blue with a sample telluric spectrum overlaid on it in green. You can see how the lines match up.

jsandse-albums-spectra-picture14683-gammacass-telluric-lines-20110910.gif

Interestingly there is a small absorption feature in the middle of the broad emission line exactly where the Hydrogen alpha line is - I have marked it by a red line in the spectra. It would be interesting to know where this line originated from. My guess is that it is what is left of the absorption line from the photosphere of the star. Anyone else have any ideas?

cheers

John

Converting the x-axis unit from angstroms to kmpersec choosing 0 at the Halpha line we can then estimate the terminal velocity of the wind for gamma cass by seeing what the velocity is where the emission line hits the continuum on the blue edge of the line. I estimate around 700km per sec give or take 150km per sec or so...

jsandse-albums-spectra-picture14685-gammacassterminalvelocitymeasurement.gif

"Spectroscopy - the final frontier....to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before"

More than 80% of all the facts and information we have about the Universe was obtained from those little bits of coloured images!

Seriously, if you take your time and think it through, spectroscopy isn't that difficult and can be very, very challenging and satisfying.

Give it a go - you'll love it.

Onwards & Upwards

( Kev- I only have three passions in my life - My wife, my spectroscopy and my solar observing!)

jsandse,

I put your question two 2 professionals so far one has answered as follows;

'As for your question, indeed it is a shell star and you see variations

in the Ha from the stars photosphere as the star increases and

decreases in magnitude. This line varies quite a bit and is very

interesting. '

It will be interesting to read the other answer.

Regards,

Jack

Archived