Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

nexstar to cg5-gt

mchiv80159

I made a similar move from the 6se to the CG5-gt mount a few years ago. Have never looked back. It took a while to get used to an equatorial mount instead of the much simpler Alt Az mount of the 6se but well worth it. I've not been dissapointed at all with the CG5 mount. It has performed well and reliably ever since I got it. Incredibly sturdy tripod and takes a good load. I've got an 8" newt, 88mm refractor and two cameras on it and it works fine.

My main grumble with the mount is actually the date format on the handest - time and time again in threads on here people have to be reminded that it's in the American mm/dd/yy format with no option to change it to the British dd/mm/yy. If I had a pound for each time that's caught me out.:)

I'm use to the date thing now,but i know what you mean about catching you out, and the scope going off for a wander :) .

Yes and is it just me for whom the handset is hopeless at remembering the time (it remembers my location just fine!). My CGEM handset suffers no such problem!

It is possible to set the location and time with Carte du Ciel/Ascom driver and have a GPS-usb dongle connected to the laptop for getting the coordinates. It would have been nice if the handset had a battery for time keeping. What is your opinion about the CGEM DX?

Archived