Shining a torch into a reflector scope?

Hi All

A very noob question i am sure - but - can anyone tell me why shining a torch down a reflector scope is so bad (when there isnt someone looking through the ep obviously)

i read this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/165480-rain-marks-dobsonian-mirror.html

and is it so you dont see how dirty the mirror is, or is there some other reason why not?

It did sound quite important not to!

Thanks

Chris

It isnt dangerous to shine a torch into a telescope,just NEVER LOOK AT THE SUN with out a proper filter,what the torch means that even a brand new mirror shows up any light scratches or dust on the mirror and it looks worse than it really is.

is it so you dont see how dirty the mirror is

Yes!!!

Some people can get VERY paranoid amount the smallest amount of dust on the mirror!

Shining a torch down the tube does no harm to the mirror!

The only problem it causes is that you can see every tiny dust mote and particle on the mirror - so you get paranoid and rush into cleaning something that does not really need cleaning !.

Thats the only reason it's discouraged - to save yourself needless stress.

well might hurt ya eyes if the torch is supper powerful. but i have done it a few times my self and am still here,did you watch sky at night about 3 months ago ,they pointed a torch down is scope (patrick moores),the mirror looked like it was frosted glass very dirty but they looked through it and they said the views were normal and that its not been cleaned for 11 years i also have been to a club and half the coatings were misssing but one night we put it in the 12" reflector just to see what it would look like ,it was so battered,and flaky but it still worked a treat

The only problem it causes is that you can see every tiny dust mote and particle on the mirror - so you get paranoid and rush into cleaning something that does not really need cleaning !.

Thats the only reason it's discouraged - to save yourself needless stress.

Indeed, John's right, that's the only reason - the paranoia ;)

Archived