Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all, had a nice clear night here on Sunday night and thought I'd have a look at a couple of doubles that were new to me.

First, gamma. A nice equal white pair about eight secs apart. Apparently the first double discovered back in the 1660s. Very nice.

Then on to Pi. An unequal pair only three arc secs apart, Tricky but split well at 200x with my six inch achro.

Both worth a look and well placed a short hop from Jupiter.

thanks for the head's up. I had a look at these last night too. gamma was lovely at mid power and as you say Pi was much more tricky and I had to wait for better seeing patches (split with 7mm BGO at 228x). also had a look at another couple of doubles close by but not as good as the two you mentioned.

it didn't help that I put my scope out as it started to clear, the clouds then rolled in and it unexpectedly started raining with full cover so I brought in my scope (6" f11 dob) which then steamed up a little and got room temp again. it then cleared so I had to put it back out and it never really got cooled properly in the time I had.

I may eventually buy the Cambridge Doubles book.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived