Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Gibbo

Hello all

Just thought I would introduce myself to you guys. I am very new to astronomy and am based in the Luton area. I was wondering if there were any upcoming gatherings as I am keen to get some advice and face to face is often better than posting on a forum...lol

Thanks

Keith

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening Gibbo,

I'm about 6 weeks ahead of you in regards of experience, got my scope back in mid october. Joined LDAS (Letchworth & District) group and have found their members to be very knowledgable and helpful.

There's a few local chaps here trying to sort out a suitable location where we can setup for an informal viewing session but its proving harder than first thought to. Not sure whats planned for the near future. Im busy every weekend up to xmas now but would be nice if we can try and sort something out over the holidays.

Hi Daz

Did you get your scope straight away or did you use binoculars first? I have just purchased some 10x50 binoculars to try and learn how to naviagte the sky before making a big investment in a telescope.

Yeah I saw the posts about trying to arrange a gathering. I did see mention of Wrest park. I have had dealigs with the estates manager at Wrest park in the past so I maybe able to have a chat to him to see if we can get access after dark.

I did buy some 10x50s and had them about a month before I got my scope (130p Skywatcher GoTo). Since then Ive had limited viewing opportunities. From my back garden it isnt ideal but Ive had some fun looking at Jupiter and trying to get some images. Apart from that Ive either not had the time come the weekends, or the weather is naff. I have been to a couple of the public viewing session that LDAS have put on over the last couple of months and found listening to some of the members explain what's up in the sky and where helped a great deal.

Fingers crossed with getting somewhere with wrest park, would be good if something can be sorted

Hi and welcome

As you can see by the previous posts we are looking for an observing site and have arrangements with LDAS to share their Letchworth obsy site during sessions. The November session was just a trial but could become permanent depending on interest from and accessibility for forum members.

• 4 weeks later...

Gibbo wrest park was quite a nice dark site and although quite far for some people it would be a good venue so a word with the manager would be much appreciated. I've been so busy lately so not even looked at any more sites

Jason

popped out into the garden this evening for a couple of hours but im sufferinf with a bit of a bug at the moment and feel like ****. was gagging to get out and use my kit for the first time in weeks but my germs have got the better of me and ive packed up and gone back into the warm feeling ten times worse than i did earlier. Was planning on coming down tomorrow but unless Im feeling better than i am today I dont think I'll be there :D

Hi

Sorry you got the lurgies for xmas, if you've kept the receipt maybe you could return it in the new year.

Given the current weather - 100% humidity - there won't be any chance of observing tonight. I will be checking between now and about 7.30-ish and will update in this thread if the LDAS session is still going ahead.

Wishing everyone a happy new year.

• 2 weeks later...
Gibbo wrest park was quite a nice dark site and although quite far for some people it would be a good venue so a word with the manager would be much appreciated. I've been so busy lately so not even looked at any more sites

Jason

Jason

I emailed my friend at Wrest park and have just recieved his reply:

"There is a public bridleway down the drive – this gives 24hour access to pedestrians, cyclists and riders... There are people all over the place all the time.

EH do employ a security guard who may come and talk with you, they always seem keen to have someone to talk to, but sure they would have no problem. They are all friendly. Probably seek to avoid driving on the grass – it leave tracks. If you go on the track beyond the pavilion which runs parallel the main drive you would probably be far enough from the house that security will leave you alone."

He has given me the number of the security guard he talks about. If people are interested in this as a site I will give them a call and take a look at the pavillion area.

Let me know what you think.....

Keith

OK, so after training in Bedford this evening I decided to do a little reccy of Wrest Park. I did as my friend suggested and turned left through the main gate past the pavilion and a little way down the track. I parked up along the track and got my binoculars out. With the moon as it is it was hard to tell how dark it really was but it was certainly better than my back garden! There was no lights from cars from the A6 as they are lower down that the level of the track I was on.

After about 15 mins I saw a car coming from the house and make its way towards me. You guessed it, it was the security guards. They told me it was private property and I shouldn't be here. I explained what I was doing and they said that I would need to get permission from English Heritage. They were very nice and polite and said I could stay for a while longer if I wanted so I stayed for about another 10 mins and then left for home.

So its not quite as easy as my friend made out but these things rarly are. I will try and make contact with English Heritage over the next couple of days and see if they would be willing for a small group of people to use the grounds away from the house ocassionally.

So it still maybe a no go-er. I will let you know the outcome. We can but ask.

Keith

I spoke to the Estates Manger as Wrest Park today. He was very helpful and asked for a few days to consider the best way to organise this. So all in all it sounds very hopefull.

Also on my way to work this morning I thought of another possible site. Marston Vale Millennium Country Park is open to the public 24/7 and has a big car park which we could maybe use. I am going to send them an email and see if they have any objections to us using it.

Will let you know when I hear anything from Wrest Park

Keith

No worries

I had a response back from Marston Vale yesterday. They said that the only acess is for pedestirans so we would have to park outside and walk the equipment in......bit of a nightmare so not really a go-er.

English Heritage are having a meeting on Monday to discuss what I have proposed. So should know shortly after that.

Keith

I had a response back from English Heritage and its good news.

They have said that we can use the area up by the pavillion which is furthest away from the main house. We don't need to let them know we are coming. The estates manager will let security know that we are OK to use that area. If we are approached by security then we just need to mention the estate managers name and why we are there.

Obviously we need to be respectful to the estate and its staff. I have a working relationship, through my own company, with the estates manager and utlimately English Heritage and would not want to jeopardize this.

All in all a good result..........all we need now is some clear skies like we have had recently!

Great news, nice one Keith.

Ive been told that the cricket pavillion car park at Weston could be a good site for viewing. Although it is ideal me myself and Stevenage based people it may be a bit too much for those further afield. I havent been down there yet but I am hoping to soon.

Im still defrosting from Monday night so by the time i get feeling back in my fingers and toes the skies should be clear again and ready for another stint.

All

I have attached an ariel map of Wrest Park indicating where the pavilion area is (the blue square). As you enter Wrest Park over the bridge across the A6 you need to immediatly turn left.

Its fairly close to the A6 but as I said in an earlier post the road is at a lower level and so the car head lights do not intrude. We could move further up along the road (blue arrow) if this proves to be a better location.

When I go up depends on the weather really. We could maybe put a date in the diary in the hope that the skies are clear. Any suggestions?

I am still getting to grips with using my telescope and am keen to meet up with others. There is no better learning method for me than face to face interaction.

Let me know what you guys think.

Keith

Wrest.tiff

Looks good to me. Silsoe isn't that big so there shouldn't be too much LP. Can't envisage there being too much of a problem moving slightly further away from the lights if they prove troublesome. The only night I really can't make is 03/02/12. Apart from that I'm reasonably flexible.

Garry

I am free pretty much most of the time. I do work some weekends on call, so cant do next weekend 27/28/29 Jan but any other time.

As I am local i dont need any notice, i can just load up the car and go.

I wont go up there until you do keith then we can discuss things further. There is a local pub too which is always good.

Archived