NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Compact Digital Cameras

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post on here, but I have a quick question about digital cameras and the best way to attach one to a telescope?! I believe this hobby is called affocal astrophotography? lol

Can anyone suggest the best method for achieving attaching one to a scope please; I know people suggest using a dSLR, but I want to five this a go first. ;)

Kind regards,

Rick.

P.S. Does anyone know why the 'for sale' section has been removed!?! ;)

Not complicated at all. Simply tighten one end (the one that fits around scope) to the focurser and put your camera on the other end on the platform and move the platform in until the lens of the camera is against the ep of the scope. The trickiest part is centering the camera lens with the ep. Other then that you are good to go in seconds.

Just to tag on, can you get decent images from the compacts with the adaptors? Cause just like MilkyJoe, £300 is a bit steep to start out with for a DLSR. And does it matter whether its CCD or CMOS?

Sully

You are limited to the length of exposures (at best 30 seconds i think) and many other settings such as ISO.

Some people get remarkable results with compact cameras, but DSLRs are way easier and do give better results.

You don't need the latest camera, you don't need a huge amount of megapixels, nor do you need a lens, and nor do you need the autofocus to work so you can pick up 'broken' DSLR bodies that will give excellent results second hand for very little money...

You could do worse than keep an eye out for a cheap Canon 300D or 350D or a Nikon d40 or d40x which are all light and very servicable for astrophotography.

Archived