Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Telementor 2

estwing

Outstanding !!

Looks in great condition.

Is the piece on the right hand side(of the last pic) a crosshair that inserts into the ortho?

I notice you have the mount set up in alt/az orientation. Do you prefer to use it that way?

Cheers for uploading the pics. Lovely.

Andy.

..there's another way to use it?

The mount? Yes. It's actually an eq mount. You line up the RA axis to roughly polaris. when you're looking at an object you simply turn the RA wheel and the mount tracks it. Perfect for high power work.

telementor-telemator.jpg

The above pic was taken from this telementor site....

(Type a title for your page here)

I think there's an explanation(edit: of setting up the mount) in the manual...

Unofficial Zeiss Telementor Web site

Nothing wrong with using it in alt/az mode, you just need to turn both RA & DEC wheels to track.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi again.

Looking back over your excellent pics, I had some further thoughts.....

It doesn't look like there is a locking thumbscrew for eyepieces/diagonal etc. It's a simple push fit. This may cause problems if you fit a diagonal, in that the fit may not be secure enough to hold something heavier, other than an eyepiece in the sleeve.

Whilst surfing Telescope Services(Germany) site, I noticed a clever solution to this. It involves unscrewing the end piece on your scope. This should leave a M44 thread to which an adapter can be fitted, which in turn lets you fit a 1.25" eyepiece adapter with brass compression fitting.

1/ Adapter: M44 male - T2 male (focal adapter for Zeiss)

2/ Reduzierung von T2 auf 1,25' - aufgesetztes T2 Gewinde - kurz

Other sites/dealers may sell these 2 items. The above is only an example.

The above configuration lets your scope be used with more readily available 1.25" accessories, which should be better optical quality(unless you pay big bucks for quality 0.965" items).

To use the scope straight through etc, with your 0.965" stuff, a 1.25"-0.965" adapter will need to purchased as well.

Using a better quality eyepieces/diagonal, will become apparent at higher powers and is highly recommended as and when you can afford to. This superb scope deserves it.

Cheers,

Andy.

This is a life-line i need, i feel i could push this scope to it's max..but i need guidance and i hope your the chap to lend a hand. sorry for been abit dumb but if you could list what i need to get a 1.25 ep on then i could even think about camera adapters:eek: if it can all be done off that website..may save running around. thanks for all your help so-far andy your restoring my faith in mankind...calv

This is a life-line i need, i feel i could push this scope to it's max..but i need guidance and i hope your the chap to lend a hand. sorry for been abit dumb but if you could list what i need to get a 1.25 ep on then i could even think about camera adapters:eek: if it can all be done off that website..may save running around. thanks for all your help so-far andy your restoring my faith in mankind...calv

First thing to do is check that your 0.965" eyepiece holder unscrews. It should, but check.

In my opinion, I reckon a scope of this quality should be used with as good a quality bits n bobs, as is reasonable within each persons pocket. When you start to up the magnification on a scope, that's where cheaper eyepieces and diagonals break down, image wise.

Getting all the stuff from one place is a bit of a challenge ;-)

Righto, if it were me, I'd get the 2 adapters in my other post. I found the T2-1.25" adapter cheaper here !

Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

Also get a 1.25"-0.965" adapter(the one on the telescope service site seems to be out of stock), for example, a well priced one, 61 rows down in...

AstroBoot

These 3 adapters will let you use both 1.25" and 0.965" eyepieces straight through.

If you want to get a diagonal, get one in 1.25" size. Tough to find a good 0.965" one and if you do, it'll be expensive. The 1.25"-0.965" adapter can also be used in the diagonal and will let you use your existing 0.965" eyepieces.

If you'd rather get one from Telescope Service, along with the other 1 or 2 items, then this would be good,

1,25' Zenitspiegel - 99% Reflektion - CNC - 1/12 Lambda

But to be honest there are similar & cheaper ones here in the UK. Lots of dealers to choose from. Here's 3 off the top of my head..

First Light Optics - William Optics 1.25" Carbon Fibre Dielectric Diagonal

Telescope House Revelation Dielectric 99% Quartz 1.25" Diagonal

GSO Revelation (GSO) 1.25" fit deluxe CNC mirror star diagonal

Remember to check if and how much the p&p charges are.

A list of possible eyepieces could be a thread all on it's own as there are an endless list of possibilities and price ranges.

Regarding camera adapters, it depends what type of camera you have.

Hope that's not confused you ;)

Andy.

Super scope, a true classic if ever there was one, excellent scope and in fine condition. Have you had it from new or is it a recent purchase.

A bit of a light polish with something like solvol autosol will remove the smaller rust pits on your adjusters, it used to work on my mini chrome bumpers in the 70s:) so should take some of the rust off the rods quite well.

I concur with Andy, a scope like this needs good quality eyepieces to do the optics justice. Its a real eyeopener to find out just what you can see with a quality 60mm set up.

Philj

One other thing.

Whilst keeping a scope to it's original specs would be great, by uprating it, all you're doing is pushing to get the best out of that wonderful 60mm lens.

You'd need deep, deep pockets to get good/high quality accessories in 0.965" size.

Andy.

wish i had all cz ep's but could end up spending more than the scopes worth? got the scope in 88 from a shop in stoke-on-trent that was closing down just because it looked nice, cost me £280 a weeks wage then! but didn't know what i'd really bought.Extra bits and bobs would of been nice but then spent it on something else, i was 18! thanks for helping me fall in love again with an old friend, (espesh andyH)

Archived