Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick Dovetail question

MG1

This one is fun.

I quickly discovered that I had things that did not fit when mixing 'Losmandy' parts from different manufacturers. I asked various manufactuers and suppliers if there was a standard. After all I did not want to take hacksaw/file to parts and make my own standard.

In the end only ADM came up with a drawing. I have this on file and will post it shortly. I have adopted this size as the standard for my kit. This is on the basis that if other manufacturers can't be bothered to tell us their sizes, how do we know they won't chnge as the whim takes them?

WOW... talk about ask and ye shall find...!

That's amazing, and TBH has me sold on ADM too! I know that what they do is expensive, but if they're prepared to share this info on the basis that we can also develop our own adaptations, well I think that shows a company that truely understands the mindset of the fettling crazed amateur.

Nice one ADM...and thanks for sharing David! :icon_confused:

+1 for ADM here too. Got the Vixen to Losmandy converter so that I can use my newts (both of which have Vixen dovetails) on my CGEM mount. Ordered from FLO and very impressed. OK so seems expensive for what it is, but really good kit that will last a lifetime.

(Course the real question is why my CGEM DX didn't / doesn't ship with a dual saddle. Grrrr!)

On the 'Vixen' standard. I have a vague recollection of seeing a drawing, or some text to describe the fit, somewhere. But I definitely do not have a copy.

I have never had problems with fit on properly made Vixen dovetails. The really cheap soft cast ones can be troublesome though. But only because they are roughly made, rather than made to a different spec.

There are only two problems with ADM.

First cost - but you get what you pay for.

Second - weight. But if you trying to support big scopes, you need sturdy mechanics.

I use a mix of Vixen/ADM dovetails. Small scope or camera in the garden on the EQ5 means Vixen. Any big scope on the fixed D6 mount is ADM.

Any decent amount of ADM hardware on the EQ5 is significant loading!

yeah it looks as though I'm heading that way...would need to establish if the spacings on their Los plate will work with my WO 132 tube rings.

also, do they tend to include any tappings for cone error adjustment screws? Would they modify if I asked?

umm...got me thinking about another idea now....

Archived